Apple Silicon

Page 4 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 64 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 746
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2020 2:26 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

David Wanat:
Regarding the concern over what happens to intel Macs after the shift to ARM, ...

Anticipating Apple to support Intel Macs for years after Apple stops selling them:

Note: OS X 10.4 Tiger could run mac OS 9 "Classic" applications on G4 Mac Mini => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini with Apple Support for almost eight years after 9.2.2 release. End of Apple Support meant any new issues would not be fixed, but older hardware could continue to run older software until hardware failed (similar to existing Libronix 3.0g being usable offline after security updates on Faithlife servers cut off online usability about a year before Faithlife shutdown Libronix servers).

Another thought is using Apple Trade-In toward an Apple Silicon Mac => https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in OR OWC Trade-In, used Macs and Tablets => https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple_Systems/Used/Macs_and_Tablets while Apple is still selling Intel Macs.

Keep Smiling Smile 

Yes, I’m not posting this out of alarmism. I’m just saying that even in a worst case scenario, the current hardware wouldn’t be junk

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Baptist, Lutheran, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 2460
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2020 5:17 PM

I still remember when my G4 Mac died. I was so mad that I needed to get a new Mac. That's when Logos 4 debuted. L4 wouldn't have run on the G4.

God always have everything worked out before we do.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 28475
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2020 5:35 AM

Josh:

JT (alabama24):

or drop support for Mac altogether. 

Kicking to the curb tens of thousands of lifelong costumers who have invested (and will continue to invest) millions of dollars into Logos software? I can't see that happening.

No, I don't either. Out of context, it might seem like that is what I said. In context, I was replying to someone who said that he didn't think FL would develop the main Logos app for ARM. My answer was that they would have to do so... "or drop support for Mac altogether." And that is true.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1061
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2020 10:27 AM

If you look in your 'About Logos' menu item you can see all the licensing details of frameworks used to build Logos. It's a good place to get a feel for how complex a port to apple silicon might be. Apple have been issuing patches to some open source frameworks where necessary, mono being an example. My guess is it will be non-trivial in the sense that it will take some quite clever tweaks but I doubt any substantial rewrites unless I'm missing something. My personal opinion / estimate is that Logos will be 'native' on apple silicon very soon.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 17
Nick Stapleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2020 10:49 AM

John Goodman:

If you look in your 'About Logos' menu item you can see all the licensing details of frameworks used to build Logos. It's a good place to get a feel for how complex a port to apple silicon might be. Apple have been issuing patches to some open source frameworks where necessary, mono being an example. My guess is it will be non-trivial in the sense that it will take some quite clever tweaks but I doubt any substantial rewrites unless I'm missing something. My personal opinion / estimate is that Logos will be 'native' on apple silicon very soon.

I like your take on it, John. I hope you're right!

Page 4 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS