corresponding notes

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 7 2020 1:06 PM

I am working in the apocrypha.

I have Swete's LXX open and the NRSV.

I can highlight text across both Bibles.  

If I put a note in the RSV, it shows up in the LXX.  If I put a note in the LXX, it doesn't show up in the NRSV.  

I suppose I could just put the notes in the NRSV and be done with it.

I would like to know what's going on here.

Posts 30179
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 6:56 PM

6 bump

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 7:06 PM

OK, I give up.  

I have no idea what  6 bump means, if you are indeed responding to my post.

Posts 28700
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 9:30 PM

“Bump” is MJ’s way of saying “no one has adequately responded to this post, please help.”

she adds numbers, else the forum thinks she is spamming. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 23603
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 11:12 PM

Larry Craig:
If I put a note in the RSV, it shows up in the LXX.  If I put a note in the LXX, it doesn't show up in the NRSV.  

Notes are appearing - for me - in the NRSV when I add them to the LXX

Please provide more details - including screenshots - showing which passages and whether you are using Notebooks or not

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 5:07 AM

This is Swete's Old Testament in Greek, and the NRSV in the middle.  I can highlight across both Bibles.  Notes in the NRSV show up in the LXX but not vice versa.  I'm going to bet that if I used the Lexham LXX, this will work.  

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 5:13 AM

OK, OK, the Lexham works both ways.  I should have thought of that.

Sorry.  

Thanks, Graham, for coming to help.  I appreciate it.

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 5:15 AM

Got it.

After people started responding to this, the thought came that the Lexham LXX would probably work, and it did.

Thanks again, MJ

I appreciate it.

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 5:16 AM

I got it JT.

I switched to the Lexham LXX.  I should have figured as much, but actually I didn't even think about all this until you wrote.

So thank you for writing on this.  I appreciate it.

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 5:40 AM

Grrr!

Now the Lexham LXX is totally unresponsive.   OK, not totally.  It's not showing corresponding hightlights.  I put a note in it.  It shows up in Swete but not the NASB.  I put a note in the NASB.  It shows up in Swete but not the Lexham.

Posts 23603
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 6:48 AM

Just checking

Are you making the notes against “Selection” or “Lemma” in the context menu?

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 6:56 AM

I don't understand the question.  Context menu?

I make a lot of notes.  When I read the Bible, any important word, whether in English, Greek, or Hebrew, I will put a note with a lexical definition, Webster definition.  Heck, multiple lexical references.  

So whatever I'm doing is the way I have been doing it.

I opened up both LXXs and my NASB side by side.  Swete and the NASB  had all my highlights and notes, but the Lexham was clean.  Nothing.

And, yes, all the corresponding things were checked off.  

Just now I put a note in the Lexham LXX.  It showed up in Swete, but not in the NASB.

I think I'll just stick with what I have been doing and work around it.

Thanks, Graham.  I appreciate your help.

Posts 23603
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 12:10 PM

Larry Craig:
I don't understand the question.  Context menu?

Sorry - I assumed you were creating the note from the context menu (shown below). If not, how are you creating it?

On the left side at the top there is "selection"; a little below that is the lemma. We can make notes based on either but notes against lemmas only show up in original language texts. I was wondering if this was going on.

But, double-checking, the screenshot you showed demonstrated you were creating it against the selection so I'm afraid my idea wasn't correct. Apologies for any confusion.

Posts 23603
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 12:21 PM

Hi Larry

I think the issue is that the book you are showing in your screenshot is one of the deuterocanonical books. Please try one outside of that collection - such as Genesis.

I have just checked and for Judith I get the same results as you are seeing, but for Genesis, for example, it works.

So it looks like an interlinear alignment issue - and I remember discussions about this but forget the details

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 1:03 PM

Thank you for responding, and thank you for trying to figure this all out.

I appreciate it.

Posts 18659
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 4:11 PM

Larry Craig:
I have Swete's LXX open and the NRSV.

Curious about NRSV Information ? Does NRSV have four Reverse Interlinears ?

Basic Search for {Milestone <Jdt14.14>} in Type:Bible can find Judith 14:14 surface text in Bibles.

Seem to remember Note Highlighting across Bibles uses Corresponding words: Same Lemma, which can be done using LXX & NRSV in Judith when NRSV includes Deuterocanonical Reverse Interlinears. Screen shot shows AV 1873 does not have Deuterocanonical Reverse Interlinear while Clementine Vulgate Deuterocanonical Reverse Interlinear has note about not having Greek alignment for Judith & Tobit

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 4:42 PM

Thank you.  I didn't understand everything, but I'm making progress.  

I appreciate  your help.

Posts 18659
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 6:51 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Curious about NRSV Information ? Does NRSV have four Reverse Interlinears ?

My demonstration account has Two NRSV Reverse Interlinears (so a LXX note in a Deuterocanonical Book does not appear in NRSV)

Logos.com product page for NRSV Deuterocanonical Reverse Interlinears => English-Greek Reverse Interlinear of the NRSV Apocryphal Texts shows inclusion in a number of collections (so purchasing one of the collections would allow a LXX note in a Deuterocanonical Book to appear in NRSV)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 23603
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2020 11:12 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Logos.com product page for NRSV Deuterocanonical Reverse Interlinears => English-Greek Reverse Interlinear of the NRSV Apocryphal Texts shows inclusion in a number of collections (so purchasing one of the collections would allow a LXX note in a Deuterocanonical Book to appear in NRSV)

I have that resource but a note created in LXX in a deuterocanonical book does not appear in NRSV

Posts 30179
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2020 2:11 AM

Quick question - any chance that your highest priority Bible fits into the mix - if it has the deuterocanonicals does it work? and not work if it doesn't ... just a thought

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS