ranked resources

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 15 2020 3:30 PM

I'm trying to figure this out.

I have a collection called luke with 320 monographs in it.  I thought if I ranked several of them which I know are important, they would appear at the top of my search results.  But they don't.

What am I missing here?

Posts 30144
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 3:54 PM

Terminology: You prioritized resources. The ranking of the resources is done by an algorithm in the application. Why does it matter? On the Basic search you can sort your results by:

• ranked
  • by resource
  • by count

Priority is not an option.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 3:58 PM

forgive me.  I'm confused.  I'm doing a passage guide on a passage in Luke.  I have a collection of monographs, tagged: luke, 320 of them.  I can search my results by resource, count, ranked, or articles.  If I rank several of my resources, wouldn't/shouldn't they show up at the top of the heap if I sort them by rank?  

What's the point of ranking them anyway?

Posts 30144
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 4:19 PM

Not to worry. You have me confused too.Smile

• Are you talking about a Search or about a Passage Guide? I answered for a Search.
  • You CANNOT "rank" your resources in Logos terminology - you can only PRIORITIZE them. If you sort by rank you are sorting by the Logos generated rank which is unrelated to your personal priority.
  • In some sections of a Guide, resources that you have PRIORITIZED will appear at the top of the results. Priorities often determine what will be shown in a mouse-over preview or what will be opened by a click.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 5:24 PM

Passage guide.  

So my rankings have nothing to do with Logos' rankings?  

I only thought of prioritizing for commentaries, dictionaries, Bibles, lexicons.  Not for monographs.  

Posts 30144
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 6:10 PM

Larry Craig:
So my rankings have nothing to do with Logos' rankings?  

Exactly ...which is why I point you to the term prioritize so you don't confuse the two.

Larry Craig:
I only thought of prioritizing for commentaries, dictionaries, Bibles, lexicons.  Not for monographs.  

Prioritization can be useful on nearly everything ... I never bother with things that have only a page index.

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 6:14 PM

I never bother with things that have only a page index.       

I don't understand what you mean here.

Posts 30144
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 6:26 PM

Larry Craig:
I never bother with things that have only a page index. 

Difference resources are indexed by different elements - information found in the Resource Information Panel. They are usually common sense.

• Dictionaries are indexed by English Headwords
  • Bibles are indexed by Bible references
  • Bible commentaries are indexed by Bible references . . .

Some resources are simply indexed by page because there is no other important indexing principle. Priority is not set by resource type but rather by index type.

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 6:35 PM

so if I find a valuable resource like a monograph in a collection that I create, I should prioritize it so I can find it easier in the future.  

And what does it mean when it says I can get my results by article, rank, resource?  What is rank?  It's not what I rank it, so what criterion is it ranked?

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 6:56 PM

So I prioritized this resource I was using and refreshed the passage guide.  It made no difference where it showed up.  This is in a collection of monographs.  So I have over 300 resources on Luke in a collection of monographs, and I cannot sort them in any way?  It will sort them by resource.  Takes forever to try to go down the list.  and if a resource has several hits, the whole thing reloads after each one, so it takes forever.

Posts 30144
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 7:14 PM

Rank is generated by a computer algorithm see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tf%E2%80%93idf

Posts 30144
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 7:16 PM

Larry Craig:

so if I find a valuable resource like a monograph in a collection that I create, I should prioritize it so I can find it easier in the future.  

Not if the only index is page.

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 7:50 PM

The very first resource ranked by Logos is a totally useless lightweight Bible study suitable for teenagers.

The other ones don't look too bad.  I'll try to be a little more trusting, though I still think it would be good to rearrange resources or move them up so for future searches, they get more visibility.  I will forget some of these in the future.  I need some way to make them memorable.

Posts 952
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2020 7:51 PM

Thank you for all your help.  I really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS