theLAB: A Priori

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4731
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 17 2020 7:42 PM

The Logos Academic Blog, which has no forum of its own, has a series called "A Priori", available here: https://academic.logos.com/category/a-priori/

In it, scholars interested in "Promot[ing] [their] research on theLAB" answer three questions, and their answers are published (unedited, as best I can tell). As interesting as some of these entries can be, I suggest a fourth question:

"Why should I read your work?"

I don't like read these entries and coming away not having an answer to that question... especially when this blog series ostensibly exists to promote these scholars' work!

In this age of too many things to do and to read, my default attitude toward anything I could read is that I shouldn't bother... until I am convinced to the contrary. I doubt I am alone in this.

But I could just be crazy...?

"The saints are the true interpreters of Holy Scripture. The meaning of a given passage of the Bible becomes most intelligible in those human beings who have been totally transfixed by it and have lived it out." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2020 8:17 PM

SineNomine:

No, but we seem to arrive at every subject from opposite directions.

I'm not interested in their guessing at value; I almost never agree (herd behavior). It's enough to me,  to discover something exciting (to me).

Thank you for the post!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4731
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 18 2020 6:29 AM

Denise:

SineNomine:

No, but we seem to arrive at every subject from opposite directions.

Perhaps we should one day both travel to the North Pole, just to defeat that possibility.

Denise:
It's enough to me, to discover something exciting (to me).

That makes sense. I think I might find more of the research in the blog series exciting if the authors answered my suggested fourth question. I may well not agree with the scholar writing that a particular answer provides me sufficient reason to read their work--or, still more, to be excited to do so--but sometimes I might.

"The saints are the true interpreters of Holy Scripture. The meaning of a given passage of the Bible becomes most intelligible in those human beings who have been totally transfixed by it and have lived it out." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 18 2020 8:20 AM

SineNomine:
Perhaps we should one day both travel to the North Pole

I can see why the 4th question can save wading through the discussion. And nothing gained by the question's absence. Gee, it's awful cold up here!

I read three (testing out):

- Psalter and potential 'forming'. I was curious what evidence-base would be used.

- Passion Narritive: anything new (it does attract a multitude)

- John Mark: timing of traditions

The first two are speculative, at least from the short descriptions. I mentally tossed them (possibly unfairly)

The John Mark one would be a very nice solid resource in Logos. Indeed, added chapters for several of the NT participants vs later traditions. But John Mark would be the star of the discussion. If only Barnabas would speak up ... not pseudo-Barnabas, though pseudo almost got canon-ized.

Anyway, I favorite'd it .... I hope Travis keeps it up!

Posts 4731
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 6:04 AM

I should note that the post from August 21 ( https://academic.logos.com/a-prior-david-palmers-research-on-nt-rhetoric-tables/ ) does a reasonable job of explaining why one would want to read the scholar's work. Yes

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 9:10 AM

Thank you.

I tried his site and no-go. Another suggested it was a google site, which my system strips out.

His idea is good. I have the capacity in my software to link the argument structure and assign weights. His seems even better.

Posts 4731
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 9:52 AM

I was disappointed that the blog post's link to a .pdf seemed very dead.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS