Syntax search for consecutive wawyiqtol forms

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Jonathan Fix | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 10 2020 1:53 AM

Hello, I am trying to do a syntax search of all the wawyiqtol forms that occur in the Old Testament without any intermediate material between the two verbs except the waw. For example, in Gen. 22:3 there is "וַיָקָם וַיֵּלֶךְ" 'he arose and went'.

These are the steps that I have done without success:

I set up a search that mimics the Anderson Forbes Phrase Marker Analysis for Gen. 22:3 without specifying the lexemes only that they are finite verbs.

The following is my search results

I am not expecting that many results. Also, there is material between the two verbs. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I am pretty sure my syntax search is not specific enough, but I do not know how to specify nothing between the verbs. Thanks in advance!

Blessings,

Jonathan

Posts 19402
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2020 1:09 AM

Jonathan Fix:
Hello, I am trying to do a syntax search of all the wawyiqtol forms that occur in the Old Testament without any intermediate material between the two verbs except the waw. For example, in Gen. 22:3 there is "וַיָקָם וַיֵּלֶךְ" 'he arose and went'.

My syntax search strategy typically starts with Morph Search so can verify Syntax Search results (can cross verse boundaries) include Morph Search (within one verse). Logos Hebrew Morphology includes Waw-Consecutive and Waw-Conjunctive

Morph Search can look for two adjacent verbs: (Waw-Consecutive) OR (Waw-Conjunctive)

(<LogosMorphHeb ~ V?W??????> BEFORE 1 WORD <LogosMorphHeb ~ V?W??????>) OR (<LogosMorphHeb ~ V?w??????> BEFORE 1 WORD <LogosMorphHeb ~ V?w??????>) 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 123
Tim Finlay | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2020 1:51 PM

Jonathan,

You need to specify in the finite verb of the first clause that it appears the last in the clause.

I created this search and it looks right.

Posts 27059
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2020 6:08 PM

Tim Finlay:

You need to specify in the finite verb of the first clause that it appears the last in the clause.

I created this search and it looks right.

I agree.  The test Morph Search above does not allow for verbs in successive verses and the WORD separation allows suffixed pronomials to intervene e.g. Gen 8:9.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19402
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2020 7:41 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Created a Syntax Search using WIVU Syntactic Analytics

Syntax Search found Waw-Verb-Waw-Verb in Genesis 2:15-16 where Genesis 2:15 ends with Waw-Verb and Genesis 2:16 begins with Waw-Verb.

Noticed Genesis 1:22 and Genesis 1:28 were not found in Morph Search so modified Morph Search:

(<LogosMorphHeb ~ V?[Ww]??????> BEFORE 1 WORD <LogosMorphHeb ~ V?[Ww]??????>) OR (lemma:וְ BEFORE 1 CHAR <LogosMorphHeb ~ V????????> BEFORE 1 WORD lemma:וְ BEFORE 1 CHAR <LogosMorphHeb ~ V????????> )

Also created Syntax Search using Anderson-Forbes (AF)

Genesis 1:28 in AF has a Waw-Verb-Pronoun-Waw-Verb. Genesis 2:15 has a Waw-Preposition-Verb-Pronoun-Waw-Verb.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS