Has anyone read...

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8409
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 27 2020 6:26 PM

Has anyone read this commentary on the parables: https://www.logos.com/product/49579/the-parables-of-jesus-a-commentary

If you have, what are your thoughts on it?  It looks interesting 🤔 but mixed reviews in google reads.

DAL

Posts 156
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2020 9:38 PM

Hi, DAL!

I have Hultgren's commentary on the parables of Jesus, though haven't read it cover to cover. Rather have used it occassionally in my sermon preparation.

John Evans' Guide to Biblical Commentaries (https://www.logos.com/product/190255/a-guide-to-biblical-commentaries-and-reference-works-10th-ed) gives Hultgren's commentary a star - meaning "a worthwile purchase, but not a first priority."

Evans writes: "Considered by many a tour de force (500pp.), which introduces and comments upon the parables. There is good balance and judgment in Hultgren’s discussions. While he warns against a return to an allegorical method of interpretation, he also notes that parable and allegory were not sharply differentiated in Jesus’s world. In the NT parables there are allegorical elements to which the reader should be alert. Hultgren provides a digest of much of the best work on parables and should be classed as moderately critical."

Evans used to consider it as a first priority purchase, but has given it's place to Klyne Snodgrass' "Stories with intent" -parable book.

Hope this helps!

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 8409
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2020 5:36 AM

Thank you, Olli-Pekka! That sure helps a lot.  One of the reviews states, “The commentary itself is very thorough and often insightful. The main weakness of Hultgren's work, however, is his over reliance on form criticism. The book often makes very speculative claims about the transmission of the parables, and oddly will occasionally give Thomas preference (though Hultgren admits that Thomas was written later). This often leads Hultgren to ignore setting within the gospel narratives and even to ignore the interpretation of certain parables given within the gospels themselves. All of this means that Hultgren occasionally opts for a reconstructed historical setting of the parables based on speculative form critical methods to interpret the parables.”

I don’t understand why he would give preference to the gospel of Thomas, but oh well. For study purposes I guess it would be ok 👍😁👌

Thanks again!

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS