How to see alternative text in Göttingen Septuagint

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Evan Caddy | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 16 2020 11:41 PM

Hello!

I've just bought Daniel volume of the Göttingen Septuagint (Ziegler-Munnich). When I use my library's hard copy, it has the text of Old Greek and Theodotion on facing pages, but in my Logos copy I can only find Old Greek. In Logos' version of Rahlfs Septuaginta, there are separate digital resources for each text, but I can't find an alternate text version of the Göttingen. How do I get it? 

Thanks 😊 

Posts 23662
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 12:00 AM

Hi Evan - and welcome to the forums

I see different texts and apparatus available in my Library as below. Do you not have these?

Did you buy the additional resources such as https://www.logos.com/product/180086/susanna-daniel-bel-et-draco-theodotion-text 

Posts 7632
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 5:59 AM

What’s the value of this resource for studying? I have other “Septuagints”  — just curious, thanks!

DAL

Posts 30236
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 11:28 AM

This is the current top critical edition.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4
Evan Caddy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 4:29 PM

Ahhhhhhh I see now: no, I didn't realise that the different sections of the book are sold separately. What a bother—now it's five times the price! Oh well; thank you, anyway 😊 

Posts 7632
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 5:54 PM

Evan Caddy:

Ahhhhhhh I see now: no, I didn't realise that the different sections of the book are sold separately. What a bother—now it's five times the price! Oh well; thank you, anyway 😊 

Try this Spanish Hebrew and Greek Texts Expansion; it might be cheaper to buy it this way.  I know it was for me and got a few other goodies for less than $150 👍😁👌

Here’s the link: https://www.logos.com/product/184057/expansion-de-biblioteca-textos-en-griego-y-hebreo-xl

DAL

Posts 4
Evan Caddy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 6:00 PM

It's not, but wow! That's a lot of stuff! Kind of weird that it doesn't have the whole Göttingen Septuagint, but perhaps it's a "good enough" sort of thing: I know I couldn't do my work well without GS of Daniel, but maybe Rahlfs or Swete is ok for other books. O

Posts 7632
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 6:11 PM

It gave me all 67 volumes, so unless there are more volumes I’m not seeing them in the website.

Posts 4464
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 6:56 PM

DAL:
It gave me all 67 volumes, so unless there are more volumes I’m not seeing them in the website.

Perhaps Evan's dynamic discount was what was different. For me, https://www.logos.com/product/184057/expansion-de-biblioteca-textos-en-griego-y-hebreo-xl costs significantly more than $150 USD, but is still a much better than the GS in full on its own.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 4
Evan Caddy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 6:59 PM

Ah; I think my quick look through an alphabetical list of biblical books meant that I missed a few. My mistake.

Posts 1586
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 3:39 AM

DAL:

Try this Spanish Hebrew and Greek Texts Expansion; it might be cheaper to buy it this way.  I know it was for me and got a few other goodies for less than $150 👍😁👌

Here’s the link: https://www.logos.com/product/184057/expansion-de-biblioteca-textos-en-griego-y-hebreo-xl

DAL

Well, I tried, and it showed 199 dollars and 97 cents - just below 200 to be a sufficient temptation! I just wonder how FL can make money with these deals!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 7632
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 4:02 AM

Veli Voipio:

DAL:

DAL

Well, I tried, and it showed 199 dollars and 97 cents - just below 200 to be a sufficient temptation! I just wonder how FL can make money with these deals!

Well, if it was a mistake on their part like it happened with Biblia Hebraica 6 (got included by accident) then I guess I’m just lucky to get it before it gets taken off the expansion.  I doubt this was an accident, though, the expansion has been available forever now and nothing’s changed. 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 294
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 7:19 AM

That was a great find!  I've been looking to pick it up for years.  I've hesitated because of the price.  I grabbed this one.  My Greek is better than my Spanish, fortunately.

Posts 7632
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 9:14 AM

Hapax Legomena:

That was a great find!  I've been looking to pick it up for years.  I've hesitated because of the price.  I grabbed this one.  My Greek is better than my Spanish, fortunately.

Spanish is like Greek, once you learn the alphabet you can read Spanish even if you don’t know it 👍😁👌

Posts 4464
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 8:23 AM

Veli Voipio:
I just wonder how FL can make money with these deals!

Bigger discount, lower royalties. If you're a bookstore and you buy a hardcover from a publisher, you paid $x for it, and if your normal selling price is $(x+y), reducing the sale price to $(x+y/2) will reduce your (potential) profit. But with ebooks, the publisher's compensation can be reduced, too. FL has indicated in the forums that, typically, they pay a % of what the item is sold for. So if Faithlife sells Resource A for $500 yesterday and $100 tomorrow, with a 50% royalty rate (made up, but it's within the range I've seen posted before), FL makes $250 for each license sold yesterday and $50 for each one sold tomorrow... less payment processing and other such costs. Meanwhile, the publisher gets $50 for each one sold tomorrow and is happy knowing that most people buying for $100 wouldn't buy for $500.

Where the margins are potentially excellent is where Faithlife owns content that it's not paying royalties for, whether it's in-house or public domain. Once that stuff has covered its development costs, every additional sale is almost pure profit. It costs FL almost nothing to multiply licenses for those resources. Hence FL Connect and Verbum Now freebies are almost all public domain, and most of the best sales are on FL resources/features, public domain resources, and... expensive stuff priced high enough that relatively few people would ever buy it at full price.

Take a look at the resource lists in base packages. At anything like hard copy price, almost no one is going to buy the entire AYBC, or the entire Fathers of the Church, or the entire NICOT/NICNT, or the contents of the Eerdman's Bible Reference Bundle (1&2), or the whole Smith & Helwys Bible Commentary, or the complete Hermeneia, or most of the ancient language resources, etc., so they can appear in base packages that are intrinsically discounted by ~90% without their publishers being upset. (All of those are in Logos 8 Ultimate, for the record.)

If, as a publisher, I can sell 20 copies of a particular academic volume per year and make $40 on each of them, before author royalty and after my other other costs, it's a no-brainer for me to try to get Faithlife to sell that volume in a base package and potentially sell thousands of copies even if I'm getting $2 per copy instead of $40.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 7632
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 2:11 AM

Wow 😳 the competition has it “on sale” for $849! 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS