LESSONmaker in Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 27
Rick Koelz | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 26 2020 10:29 AM

Are there plans to incorporate the LESSONmaker function from WORDsearch into Logos?

I notice that some of the files (Introductions and Outlines) have moved into Logos. 

Posts 25343
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2020 10:45 AM

Rick Koelz:
Are there plans to incorporate the LESSONmaker function from WORDsearch into Logos?

Phil posted at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/193801/1116866.aspx#1116866 that there are plans to do so.

Posts 3311
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2020 8:50 PM

Just curious, how exactly did LessonMaker work? What is different than the current sermon builder in Logos?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 489
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2020 10:00 PM

I was honestly never impressed with it.

From my point of view, for what little I played with it, this was my take on the product.

You could search through a list (think collection) of resources (here think of lesson/Bible study type resources with already generated questions) on specific topics (head words?) or verses. You get back a list of results and you can select one, from which you then select/copy questions and paste them into a word processor (here the idea was to use the internal one W.S. provided.)

You format/edit your questions, add extra text etc.

If you use the W.S. editor you can press an icon to add space/lines after the question to leave space for the student to write answers.

If you use the original numbered bullet points for the questions and you have copied in questions out of number order, you can have the editor renumber them for you.

All of this can be done currently with logos (except the renumbering and a word processor macro could likely do that for you if you can find or write one).

The thing that LessonMaker could do for you that was different is auto generate the lesson by using what they called a Panic button.

Lesson Maker specific resources had some of their questions flagged/tagged as I guess important and the app woiuld use these to build your lesson.

You could also using the Panic Button, have LessonMaker add the Bible text (Bible version(s) chosen from a list) to the bottom of the lesson for you.

Thats it in a nut shell.

Posts 8485
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2020 4:02 AM

My “Panic” go to resource is the Dictionary of Bible Themes 👍😁👌 It’s arranged in such a way, you could literally build your lesson from it or just import it to the sermon editor “as is.” Great resource!

DAL

Posts 2517
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2020 8:00 AM

David Taylor Jr:
how exactly did LessonMaker work?

Upon opening LM, the user could select a text/topic. (I almost always did text for the types of small groups I lead) or open a "Lesson kit" from a tree of several study guides (my most frequent was the "Adult Questions for LESSONmaker)

Next Sunday I will preach Luke 5:1-11. Opening Adult Question resource to that text gives me this set of 24 questions that I can select individually and copy to a Doc (like the Sermon Editor):

If I am REALLY in a rush (e.g. Sunday morning and a teacher doesn't show up for a class) I can hit the "panic" button and the program automatically selects the 7 questions with asterisks and copies them to a doc then renumbers them. (I usually export this doc to WORD then tweak the layout before printing.

Under the lesson title (in the blue box) you can see all of the TOPICS that would have produced this pericope if I started with a Topic Search.

In the Logos ecosystem, I will be satisfied as long as I can open the Resource with the list of questions pictured above that I could "copy to Sermon Doc". I've only used the "panic" button 3x in the 25+ years that I've had LessonMaker, but I do ask myself if one of the other questions in a section (or my rewording of the question) is the best way to HOOK, BOOK, LOOK, TOOK from the text.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS