Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 32
Jason Newman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 5 2020 7:27 AM

Good morning everyone.

I am wanting to start sorting and organizing my library. What is the easiest way to do that? Also, can a book be put in more than one collection? For example, Basil the Great On the Spirit in both Church Fathers and Pentecostal collections?

Thanks in advance!

Posts 29804
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 7:55 AM

Jason Newman:
What is the easiest way to do that?

There will be many who will give you advice on this topic, but for clarification: Are you asking a technical question ("how do I do this in Logos") or a philosophical one ("what categories and techniques should I use")? 

Jason Newman:
can a book be put in more than one collection?

Absolutely. A "collection" is simply a list of books. It isn't like a physical shelf with a physical book. You can put the same book in as many collections as you would like, no problems. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 32
Jason Newman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 7:58 AM

I am wanting to know the steps to do it in Logos. ( I am not averse to suggestions on the categories and techniques though!) 

Posts 25220
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 8:57 AM

Jason Newman:
I am wanting to know the steps to do it in Logos.

Please have a look at https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016299092-Create-and-Use-Resource-Collections 

And please post back with any specific questions.

Posts 32
Jason Newman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 9:32 AM

Thanks Graham!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 9:57 AM

Jason, I'd really hate for you to join the 'wrong team' (smiling).

Some of us are taggers, and others collectionists. There's a smaller group called re-title-ists too. All managing their libraries.

Here's the tagger's instructions:

https://wiki.logos.com/Tagging 

Each has its benefits. You might play around first, before you dig in.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 12107
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 10:13 AM

Denise:
Each has its benefits.

I definitily do both - BUT I know that collections have a price tag: they are evaluated at program start, so having commentary collections for all books of the bible, and tradition/denominational collections of hundreds of authors for dozens of theological leanings (as you can find ready-made rules for in the forums and/or the wiki) will definitely slow down Logos at startup. It's only a bit - so if you think it's pretty fast and you easily work with a little bit more, then okay. If you're sitting impatiently urging the program to show up, don't go the collection route but use tags instead, it's always possible to have a quick on-the-fly collection with rule mytag:xyz.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS