Your version of Logos is out of date

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 45
G | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 5 2020 1:11 PM

My Logos version is not out of date.

I apparently just don't have the base package library you want me to have (which has far too many extraneous 'resources' for me).

It would be preferred  that the Logos logged-in home page only tell me when my Logos version (now, 8.16.0.0002) is out of date and leave the rest to me.
(It's no use if it's wrong about the version, worse, it is distracting and engenders worry.)

And thinking of that home page, it would of more friendly were a CLICK on Search to put an active cursor in the Search's string box.)

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 1:38 PM

Not true, the engine and owned books are frequently bug-fixed and updated, chances are the newer version has made database changes so will be better in long run, the engine has always been free, just type in "update now" in the command box to only update the engine

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 33796
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 1:47 PM

G:
It would be preferred  that the Logos logged-in home page only tell me when my Logos version (now, 8.16.0.0002) is out of date and leave the rest to me

That is what happens for me; I've neither seen nor read of a case where "out of date" referred to libraries although it would make sense if datasets which are owned lack essential updates. Could you post a shot of the message ... this might be trying to warn you of something important. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 539
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 2:36 PM

G:

And thinking of that home page, it would of more friendly were a CLICK on Search to put an active cursor in the Search's string box.)

Clicking on Search (the magnifying glass icon) opens a Search panel with the cursor active in the string field, ready to type. I'm on a Mac running Logos beta 8.17.0.0007. Might be worth using the beta channel if the previous version didn't get the cursor in the right place.

Posts 45
G | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 3:19 PM

As for resources out-of-update, that's not likely since this happens (just about?) every time I log into the home page --

Despite that I keep autoupdate on and Logos is open all day with no interruption of access.

The message appears even just after resources are auto updated.

If it's not my Logos version it's talking about, why then would VIEW OPTIONS link me prominently to

MJ, thanks.

Here's my Logos 'about' status:

And here's a clip of the home page message:

g

Posts 45
G | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 3:28 PM

Thanks OHF,

Though I've not (persistently?) tested this by immediately typing after the box appears (which did not work just now as I tested it),
I did not because it had no blinking cursor -- as it does when I click or double-tab into it.

I'll wait until 8.17 Windows is primetime (The condition has persisted through multiple high-level, x.UPDATE, updates.)

Posts 33796
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 3:29 PM

Your screen shots didn't come through ... one needs to use the paper clip. But you did provide the information I needed. When the message is "stuck" when everything is up to date, that means that some index or download manager is corrupted. It would take logs to identify the exact file that would need to be removed and downloaded.  You have three choices:

• call customer service, let them take control of your machine and fix it
  • take logs and post them in the forums for one of the dump gurus to identify the file creating the problem
  • wait until the next release (about 3 weeks, if I count correctly) to fix the problem as it likely will. If the problem still persists after 8.17, then do one of the other two options. Or think you've already done this step and take one of the other two options.

Yes, this problem is annoying but it is not harmful.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 45
G | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 3:49 PM

Thanks again MJ,

For completion's sake, I've attached a doc with the snips pasted.

6562.If it.docx

(It includes what I find when I click VIEW OPTIONS.)

Posts 29923
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2020 7:35 PM

G:
It would be preferred  that the Logos logged-in home page only tell me when my Logos version (now, 8.16.0.0002) is out of date and leave the rest to me.

For clarification: You had an advertisement on your homepage. That is one issue/complaint. The second issue is with nomenclature. FL calls a number of things "Logos 8," including the software and the libraries. Personally, I really despise this. However, FL stays in business through the sale of these libraries and many of us eagerly look forward to the release of new ones. 

You are right that your software is up to date. 

G:
it is distracting and engenders worry

You should do what I do... never visit the home page. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS