This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1426
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 23 2020 11:20 AM

Are the books annotated? 

https://www.logos.com/product/55052/great-books-of-the-western-world 

Posts 5978
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2020 11:26 AM

No.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 9802
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2020 11:54 AM

It depends what you mean by annotated. I'm reading the series through consecutively and am currently about half way through. Most volumes have at least some footnotes and some volumes have some more detailed notes. For instance Don Quixote would occasionally explain what was meant by the text. But generally the notes are not extensive.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1426
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2020 11:57 AM

Bruce Dunning:
I'm reading the series through consecutively and am currently about half way through

That sounds like an interesting journey! Do you have a plan to get through it? Thanks for the comments

Posts 9802
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2020 12:46 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
That sounds like an interesting journey! Do you have a plan to get through it?

I actually am enjoying it very much. Although some works challenge me more than others I continue to work my way through them. Currently I'm reading Francis Bacon. I have a very much appreciated being stretched by the variety of literature.

Originally, when Faithlife launched the product, I was part of a Faithlife Group called "The Great Books Challenge" https://faithlife.com/the-great-books-challenge/activity I'm not sure who is left in the group who is actually still reading but I think there are at least a few.

My plan is to just keep reading as time allows. Originally it was about 20 pages a day but often that is too aggressive for me, especially if the books are more challenging to read. I take time to look up old words I don't understand which is generally fairly easy in Logos.

Come and join the group if you are interested.  

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1426
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2020 4:22 PM

How well is it tagged to other books? Will other books link to this set as well?

Posts 9802
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2020 5:08 AM

Mike Tourangeau:

How well is it tagged to other books? Will other books link to this set as well?

I've really not been looking at that much as my focus has been primarily on reading/understanding but I don't recall many outside tags.

Posts 5978
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2020 7:16 AM

Mike Tourangeau:
Will other books link to this set as well?

I doubt that many books cite this set specifically, but in the case of books with standardized reference schemata recognized by Logos/Verbum (e.g., the Summa Theologiae, parts of which are in this set), there shouldn't be any issues.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 1426
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2020 8:57 AM

Ok, thanks. I’ll wait till Monday to see if it’s included in any new packages:)

Posts 9802
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2020 12:36 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

Ok, thanks. I’ll wait till Monday to see if it’s included in any new packages:)

I don't recall it ever being offered in a package but it would be great if it was.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS