Mobile ED: LA171 (Biblical Hebrew) and LA181 (Biblical Greek)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1547
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 11 2020 6:03 PM

I'm wondering if anyone who hasn't had any training in Hebrew or Greek has gone through either of these two courses.

If so, do you feel they were very helpful in teaching you how to use Hebrew or Greek resources and features from within Logos to better study, interpret, and understand the Hebrew or Greek texts?

I also assume the training materials are based on working with Logos 8.  If so, and you now use Logos 9, do you think the courses would be of any less value if used within Logos 9.

Posts 4
Andreas Mueller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 9:45 PM

I did watch the videos of LA171 through the church subscription. I think the answer to your first question depends a lot on how much general knowledge one has already accumulated from general introductory videos and from other ressources. I'm not catholic but I love in particular the Verbum 360 Training and the Verbum Advanced Academic Training to gain general familiarity with Verbum/Logos. Watching how Michael Heiser uses Logos in LA171 was more a confirmation for me that I was using it correctly than revealing a lot of new information.

The first half of the course focusses a lot on word studies and their fallacies. From what I know about this topic Michael Heiser seems to give a very nice overview but I felt like I knew most of this already. I think most of these fallacies are the same for Greek and I had read already "Greek for the rest of us" by Bill Mounce and "Exegetical Fallacies" by D.A. Carson.

The second half of the course gives a lot of examples for many different grammatical constructs. I think watching this once won't let me remember enough to keep using it in my bible study and before I watch it multiple times I much rather would like to read a seminary textbook about learning Hebrew properly or take HB101. Of course this is just my personal opinion. It might be very different for you!

Concerning the Logos version: They are based on Logos 8 but I don't see any changes in Logos 9 that would affect this course.

Posts 1547
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 7:02 AM

Andreas Mueller:

I did watch the videos of LA171 through the church subscription. I think the answer to your first question depends a lot on how much general knowledge one has already accumulated from general introductory videos and from other ressources. I'm not catholic but I love in particular the Verbum 360 Training and the Verbum Advanced Academic Training to gain general familiarity with Verbum/Logos. Watching how Michael Heiser uses Logos in LA171 was more a confirmation for me that I was using it correctly than revealing a lot of new information.

The first half of the course focusses a lot on word studies and their fallacies. From what I know about this topic Michael Heiser seems to give a very nice overview but I felt like I knew most of this already. I think most of these fallacies are the same for Greek and I had read already "Greek for the rest of us" by Bill Mounce and "Exegetical Fallacies" by D.A. Carson.

The second half of the course gives a lot of examples for many different grammatical constructs. I think watching this once won't let me remember enough to keep using it in my bible study and before I watch it multiple times I much rather would like to read a seminary textbook about learning Hebrew properly or take HB101. Of course this is just my personal opinion. It might be very different for you!

Concerning the Logos version: They are based on Logos 8 but I don't see any changes in Logos 9 that would affect this course.

Thank you Andreas.  Your feedback and perspective are very helpful... just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS