I have a wild a crazy idea!

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 501
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 13 2020 8:46 AM

What if Logos worked on the search function of the forums so that we didn't have to go to Google and use the "site:" convention!

I know, it's just about the same as putting a man on the moon, or having the entry level Apple laptop be faster than their top of the line machines . . . oh, wait . . . 

Posts 11934
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 9:59 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

What if Logos worked on the search function of the forums so that we didn't have to go to Google and use the "site:" convention!

I know, it's just about the same as putting a man on the moon, or having the entry level Apple laptop be faster than their top of the line machines . . . oh, wait . . . 

well, sometimes the most crazy thing is to just try it out....

I know that Bradley fixed something in the search code to get away with the errors some people were seeing - other than that, I'm so used to using Google that I nearly forget that the forum has its own search.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 10:57 AM

The forum search is very basic and (like most things in this third-party software we're using) we don't have any plans to significantly overhaul it, but is there some specific improvement in forum search you're wanting?

Posts 1156
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 11:24 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

The forum search is very basic and (like most things in this third-party software we're using) we don't have any plans to significantly overhaul it, but is there some specific improvement in forum search you're wanting?

It rarely works at all... so showing some results would be my first request;)

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 185
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 11:42 AM

John Goodman:

Good one, Mr. Goodman.!!

Posts 1231
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 11:45 AM

It’s still not too useful using a phrase, quotes or not...

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 12:02 PM

It’s not crazy. I use google to really mine for answers on the forum. 

Posts 29603
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 1:11 PM

is there some specific improvement in forum search you're wanting?

Yes. use The box to default to do a google search. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee

John Goodman:

It seems to be working for me... https://community.logos.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=rarely+works

Can you be more specific about what's not working?

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee

David Wanat:

I can't really see your screenshot, but it seems to work for me with quoted phrases: https://community.logos.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=%22liturgy+of+the+hours%22

Obviously the hit highlighting is poor (just "of" and "the") but the results all include that exact phrase:

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee

David Wanat:

If you're using Mobile Safari, press and hold on the " key to insert a straight quote. Otherwise Safari helpfully uses curly quotes, which the search engine ignores. (This should be fixable on our end, but giving you a workaround to use for now.)

Posts 1231
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 5:07 PM

David Wanat:

If you're using Mobile Safari, press and hold on the " key to insert a straight quote. Otherwise Safari helpfully uses curly quotes, which the search engine ignores. (This should be fixable on our end, but giving you a workaround to use for now.)

My search uses the same terms yours do... but it searches for individual words

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1231
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 5:08 PM

David Wanat:

ok I only saw this after I replied. I’ll try it

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1231
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 5:10 PM

Okay, that did the trick. I didn know the keyboard could do that

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 501
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2020 5:42 AM

For many, many weeks now searching in the forums only returned an error message. Of course, TODAY would be the day when I actually got a genuine search result. I'm grateful that it's working at this moment. 

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee

We fixed this; it should work for you now without having to explicitly insert straight quotes in Safari.

Posts 3062
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2020 9:46 AM

The forum search is very basic and (like most things in this third-party software we're using) we don't have any plans to significantly overhaul it

Somebody help me out here...I'm confused.

As I understand it, we can use a google search with the "site" convention to search the forums powerfully and effectively, which costs FL *zero* in either monetary or HR resources, or we can demand they spend those on fixing third-party software they provide for free as a convenience for us because it is too inconvenient for some to use the "site" convention.

Is that about right?

I don't always land in FL's court on things, but this one seems to be a no-brainer...I'd rather they focus on L9 than the forum search bar.

(Unless I'm confused, as I mentioned above. If that's the case, smack me.)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee

Doc B:

As I understand it, we can use a google search with the "site" convention to search the forums powerfully and effectively, which costs FL *zero* in either monetary or HR resources, or we can demand they spend those on fixing third-party software they provide for free as a convenience for us because it is too inconvenient for some to use the "site" convention.

You forgot the third option: post vague complaints that "it doesn't work" then disappear Wink

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2020 5:01 PM

Doc B:

You forgot the third option: post vague complaints that "it doesn't work" then disappear Wink

Fourth option: post a question like "Does anyone know if there's a thread that mentions ___ is? I can't find it." And some helpful person will do a Google site:community.logos.com search for you and post the link.

Posts 5510
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2020 8:00 PM

Rosie Perera:
Fourth option: post a question like "Does anyone know if there's a thread that mentions ___ is? I can't find it." And some helpful person will do a Google site:community.logos.com search for you and post the link.

Honestly, when I search for forum threads on Google, I don't normally even bother with/remember the "site:" part. Still usually works.

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS