Filtering Highlights beyond Type in Notes

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 32
Eugene Nowak | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 17 2020 10:15 AM

Filtering in Notes allows facet selection of Highlighting under Type.  This will filter all Highlighted items, separating them from Notes.  I can further filter the Highlighted by a variety of Facets, but I cannot find a way to narrow the results to just a specific Highlight Style.  Is this possible within the Notes Tool?

I know how to search a resource by selecting the Highlighting Style and getting all verses and search them.  But that doesn't seem to fit the scope of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have highlighted a number of verses and references and now would like to place them into a Notebook without interrogating each Highlight to find out what Style it is and then dragging and dropping into a Notebook. I'd like to be able to filter the Highlights by Style, select the group and then drag-n-drop into a Notebook.  Any suggestions how this can be accomplished.

It looks like in the future I can create a specific Palette that is tied to a Notebook and anytime the Highlight Style is used from that Palette, the highlighted information will automatically be placed in the Notebook.  Haven't tried that yet, but the research looks good, except for the disclaimer that it is not retroactive.

I have also tried filtering in the search field using {Highlight stylename} with no results.  

Please advise.

Posts 24534
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 11:10 AM

Eugene Nowak:
I can further filter the Highlighted by a variety of Facets, but I cannot find a way to narrow the results to just a specific Highlight Style.  Is this possible within the Notes Tool?

This is not currently possible

Eugene Nowak:
I have highlighted a number of verses and references and now would like to place them into a Notebook without interrogating each Highlight to find out what Style it is and then dragging and dropping into a Notebook. I'd like to be able to filter the Highlights by Style, select the group and then drag-n-drop into a Notebook.  Any suggestions how this can be accomplished.

I totally understand why you want to do this but I'm afraid I can't think of any way of doing it retroactively.

Posts 26524
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 12:12 PM

Eugene Nowak:
I have also tried filtering in the search field using {Highlight stylename} with no results.  

I think this will be manual.

Use {Highlight mystyle} in Bible Search of a resource.

Filter Notes tool by Notebook if you know they belong to No Notebook, for example. Then filter for Highlights in that resource and sort by Bible reference. You can select all highlights that are in the range of results from your Search and change the Notebook in one go. But you may need to weed out other styles in that range. So Search for {Highlight *}  -{Highlight mystyle} in that range.  If you get no results, change the Notebook of what you selected. Otherwise change the range of what you selected, or CTRL-click to deselect a highlight, so that you now have selected only highlights that belong to mystyle. Change the Notebook.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 32
Eugene Nowak | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 2:21 PM

Didn't like the screen shots....

Posts 32
Eugene Nowak | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 2:31 PM

Didn't like the screen shots - 2nd try pasting into the post with URL this time...

Posts 32
Eugene Nowak | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 2:49 PM

Thanks for the reply.

No matter what syntax I use in the Notes Find area, there are zero results.  Using the Filter Facets narrows it down, but without being able to pull out the unique styles using syntax, it is a manual process from there to interrogate each verse/resource and then place it into a the appropriate Notebook.

Using the same syntax in a Search field, will generate verse/resource results....

Or an Inline Search (I think that is the Logos term for this location) will yield results.  Here I just selected the Style from the drop down menu and used wildcard to get all the verses.

But verses outside of the Notes Panel is not what's needed.  It seems like the programming behind the Search fields will accept syntax and the Notes Filter field will not.

As a Wordsearch to Logos "transitoner" there's a learning curve until my Logos study habits wrought out.  Figure there will be plenty of speed bumps along the way.  In this case I had mingled a few Highlight Styles across a few hundred verses before realizing it would be better to group them into a Notebook to be later pulled out for a topical study, even though I could generate a verse list from searching on the Style.  I'm guessing the Notebook is a better environment to collect these items.  Just gotta be able to think ahead by knowing how Logos works.  Now I've setup unique Palettes tied to unique Notebooks, and hopefully this will take care of this as I move forward,  At least until the next speed bump.

Posts 26524
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 10:45 PM

Eugene Nowak:
But verses outside of the Notes Panel is not what's needed.  It seems like the programming behind the Search fields will accept syntax and the Notes Filter field will not.

Correct, which is why it is manual and you have to generate verses in a Bible Search. If you used my syntax you will avoid the use of wildcards.

1. search for all occurrences of {Highlight Red Line}  - (which is my style) in ESV

2. Results range from Mt 5:7 to Rom 11.1

3. Search for other highlights in that range (Mt - Rom) --> {all highlights}  -{Red Line} = {all highlights}  AND NOT {Red Line}

4. Filter Notes tool by Highlights in that resource, and sort in Bible order

5. Select the Highlights from Mt 5:7 to Rom 11:1 (click the first and shift-click the last)

6. Deselect (CTRL-Click) the intervening results from the second search (Jn 1:6, 4:7; Rom 10:5)

7. Change the Notebook as indicated.

8. Click Apply Changes at the bottom. .

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 32
Eugene Nowak | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 4:56 AM

Gotcha...

If I understand correctly, you are working the Search Panel results and Notes Panel side-by-side.  Using the Search Panel as the "checklist," then matching and selecting the appropriate verses in the Notes Panel for Notebook reassignment.

Thanks for the insight.

Posts 26524
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 10:48 AM

You're welcome. You could work off the first search only (deselecting highlights in Notes tool that didn't match), but the second one gives you the magnitude and distribution of the other highlights, so you can modify the range to select in Notes tool and reduce the number you have to deselect.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS