Updating library catalog - persistent annoyance

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1508
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 7:59 PM

Before we call Tech Support, can someone from FL please comment on whether "updating library catalog" happening on program startup is normal, expected behavior, or abnormal behavior?

I also have the Library as one of the tabs in my default layout, and I often go to it first at program startup.

Posts 9055
LogosEmployee

This may be due to updating Community Tags and Ratings. Even if your library hasn't changed, community tags and ratings have, and are being integrated into your library. You could try disabling them in Program Settings to see if that helps.

Posts 186
TWBeining | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 9:01 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

This may be due to updating Community Tags and Ratings. Even if your library hasn't changed, community tags and ratings have, and are being integrated into your library. You could try disabling them in Program Settings to see if that helps.

Bradley, I don't have Community Tags and Ratings turned on in the settings and it still does this. Any thoughts?

Tim

Posts 1622
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 11:18 PM

Thanks Bradley for commenting!

But please don't lose my original point: the up-and-down movement!

For me it is ok, if it indexes and if it notifies about it.

I begin to feel that everyone in FL knows about this problem, but for some reason it is not fixed.

fixed

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 353
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2020 6:37 AM

I don't mind it at all.  Generally. at least with me, the orange line isn't there that long and it does go away. 

Me and my simple mind don't see this as major.  I am sure when push comes to shove, we would all rather FL work on other things right now than allocate resources to this orange line. 

Coming from WS... I vote to get all WS resource in before working on the orange line whereby all Logos people can be on the same page. 

Just my 2 cents... which with $2.50 will buy a cup of coffee in some places. Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 4454
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2020 7:33 AM

Minor annoyance yes... definitely not a major issue.

I have a new macbook pro from earlier in 2020 and each time I restart Logos it takes about a minute to two minutes to sort through whatever it sorts through.  As mentioned earlier, tagging is a pain.  I try to get 3 tags in real quick and then wait until it finishes because the updating library bar forces a refresh.

Posts 9055
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2020 12:10 PM

Veli Voipio:

We have a case in our bug tracker for this problem, so it's not lost. (I didn't realise no one from Faithlife had replied about your original point.)

Posts 9055
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2020 12:34 PM

TWBeining:

Bradley, I don't have Community Tags and Ratings turned on in the settings and it still does this. Any thoughts?

The other explanation would be updated metadata downloaded from our servers. (You can't disable this except by running completely offline.)

The frequency of this is a factor of how many books you have and how frequently we update metadata. I'd be surprised if it's happening every single time (since the intersection of a metadata update with your library shouldn't be happening constantly). A log file might show what the cause was for a given session; collecting dozens of log files might help show a trend.

Posts 5013
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2020 12:48 PM

TWBeining:

The other explanation would be updated metadata downloaded from our servers. (You can't disable this except by running completely offline.)

The frequency of this is a factor of how many books you have and how frequently we update metadata. I'd be surprised if it's happening every single time (since the intersection of a metadata update with your library shouldn't be happening constantly). A log file might show what the cause was for a given session; collecting dozens of log files might help show a trend.

If I tag a book on one Verbum installation and then open Verbum in another installation, that should trigger an update too, I would think. Likewise customizations of titles, short titles, series names... possibly changing reading percentages, too, since the Library can sort on that, too. Or am I way off? It's happened before!

Posts 186
TWBeining | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2020 12:49 PM

(You can't disable this except by running completely offline.)

Bradley, thanks for getting back to me. I do have a question for you though. Is there some way this can be hidden so that it does not make the library listing jump around when working in there or maybe move that to the bar to the top where downloads show up?

That would make me and probably a lot of other people very happy.

Posts 19135
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2020 1:11 PM

Veli Voipio:

We have a case in our bug tracker for this problem, so it's not lost. (I didn't realise no one from Faithlife had replied about your original point.)

Concur Library notification with up-and-down movement combined with automatically resetting Library focus is persistently annoying, which has interrupted my library customizations numerous times (no warning refresh is about to happen plus any scrolling in Library view disappears during refresh). Would greatly appreciate user selection & focus being saved immediately before refreshing library tab(s) followed by restoring user selection & focus (suspect resource id's would be useful for saving & restoring since user cannot modify id's).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9055
LogosEmployee

TWBeining:
Is there some way this can be hidden so that it does not make the library listing jump around when working in there or maybe move that to the bar to the top where downloads show up?

The case in our bug tracker is to address this annoyance.

Posts 9055
LogosEmployee

SineNomine:

If I tag a book on one Verbum installation and then open Verbum in another installation, that should trigger an update too, I would think. Likewise customizations of titles, short titles, series names... possibly changing reading percentages, too, since the Library can sort on that, too. Or am I way off? It's happened before!

You are correct. (In my reply, I may have read too much into the question "Why does it update the catalog every time Logos is restarted [when I haven't changed anything]?" If you are changing tags, ratings, or titles (or those are syncing from your other computer) then the Library Catalog will need to be updated.)

Posts 1622
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2020 7:47 AM

Good! YES!!

From Kenya, 1985:

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 4454
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2020 7:53 AM

Mine updates the library catalogue on every restart, no questions asked.  I could start logos and let it index (if a new book) and add a tag.  Wait for update.  Exit and restart right away and it still comes back.  

Posts 2521
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2020 8:47 AM

Mine starts about 10 seconds after I open the library for the first time after closing the program and then runs for a minute and a half. L9.1 Mac running OS 10.14.6. Community tags and notes are turned off.

Posts 186
TWBeining | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2020 9:29 AM

Thank you Bradley!

Posts 4454
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2020 9:33 AM

John Fidel:

Mine starts about 10 seconds after I open the library for the first time after closing the program and then runs for a minute and a half. L9.1 Mac running OS 10.14.6. Community tags and notes are turned off.

This is similar to me as well. Latest MAC OS and Logos update. 

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS