FAITHLIFE IS MORE LIKE A BUSINESS

Page 3 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 46 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 236
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2021 5:38 AM

xnman:

I have a Stihl chain saw.  There are cheaper chain saws... but I bought a Stihl because I know the thing works and works well.

Do I like the high prices of Stihl?  No. But I like that it works well. I like that Logos works well.

A bit Off-topic, but couldn't resist the temptation, Xnman: All the forestry and the firewoods used in the fireplaces of my summer-house has been done and will be done using a Stihl Chain saw. I agree also on the Logos-part! (Saving dead tree books by buying Logos, since the trees are desperately needed elsewhere...) Wink 

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 27
Gerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2021 5:39 AM

Bob Price:

I'm surprised that this is even a question.  Yes, of course FL is a business.  There is no way in the world that all of these fantastic resources would just be given away.  The software itself is a marvelous achievement--shouldn't those who worked so hard on it receive payment for their work?  The fact is that FL does give away an amazing amount of stuff, for which I am very grateful.  I have a huge library which did cost money, but not nearly as much as if I had purchased all these as physical books.

Try this:  go to any bookstore that sells books in which you are interested.  Go up to the clerk and ask him/her if you can just walk out with any books you like without paying.  I'm guessing they will not agree to that.  Does that make them bad people?  No, because that's the business they're in, and they'd like to feed their families as well.

Faithlife has produced an amazing piece of software that enriches our lives in our study of God's Word.  The free version alone is probably better than what you could have purchased only a few years ago.  I am thankful for the number of resources that are available for free, but I certainly don't begrudge FL for attempting to make a profit.  If you do, there's nothing forcing you to buy their products.

YesYesYes

Posts 9024
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2021 6:02 AM

Faithlife is a business just as much as a Christian bookstore is a business.  There’s rent to be paid and people who are on a payroll that need to be paid for their time and effort.  Software, books, contracts, accounting, etc. don’t just appear out of thin air.

Christians are not freeloaders! Instead we should be thankful for what we have and can afford with our own efforts 👍😁👌

Blessings and Happy New Year 2021 🎆🎊🎈 

DAL

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2021 7:54 AM

DAL:
Christians are not freeloaders! I

Well, that depends on the time of the end. Apparently, dumping your job was a prerequisite (2 Thes if I remember, though I never understood the logic).

But back to the criticality, and that is 'chain saws'. You can get yourself into serious trouble here with the wrong saw (fire/sparking). Stihl is just a disaster waiting to happen. Better a battery-Ryobi that might only explode in your garage during charging (so much safer).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 236
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2021 8:00 AM

Denise:

But back to the criticality, and that is 'chain saws'. You can get yourself into serious trouble here with the wrong saw (fire/sparking). Stihl is just a disaster waiting to happen. Better a battery-Ryobi that might only explode in your garage during charging (so much safer).

Big Smile

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 1415
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2021 8:29 AM
Denise:

DAL:
Christians are not freeloaders! I

Well, that depends on the time of the end. Apparently, dumping your job was a prerequisite (2 Thes if I remember, though I never understood the logic).

I think St. Paul had a few choice words to say to those people Wink

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2021 9:15 AM

David Wanat:
I think St. Paul had a few choice words to say to those people

Unfortunately, St Paul finished off with what early on was known as the 'curiously' exception (Wycliff 1382). It required almost two centuries to switch over to the 'busybody exception' (Tyndale 1536).  For the curious, the greek definition of the 'busybody' most often pointed to Plato Apol 19 B, where Socrates was just too 'fussy'.

Have a nice New Year, David!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 3 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS