Looking for ways to capture internet articles in Logos for future searches

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 75
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 7 2021 7:12 AM

Here's my specific scenario... I subscribe to Christianity Today (both magazine and digital).  Today I read an article in the hardcopy magazine that I would like to file away in Logos to make it available for future searches (by scripture reference and tags).  I was able to find the online version of the article.  I'm always looking for illustrations and content for my adult Bible study class. What are some ways that I can capture the full article in Logos and later recall it through a search.  Personal Book?  Sermon Builder?  Other?  I want to, of course credit the source as well.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

Posts 24496
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 7:19 AM

Ralph Wood:
(by scripture reference and tags)

As you want to make it searchable by both scripture references and tags, I would suggest either a notebook or a sermon doc.

Neither of them will create a citation automatically if you paste the contents of the article into it, so you would need to add that manually.

Posts 29206
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 7:26 AM

Ralph Wood:
What are some ways that I can capture the full article in Logos and later recall it through a search.  Personal Book?  Sermon Builder?  Other?  I want to, of course credit the source as well.

My personal solution is to create a personal book. It can be VERY simple (and take only a few seconds to update), or you can add extra functionality to it (now or in the future). Are you familiar with creating them? 

Note, however, that personal books are not available on mobile. You <can> sync them between computers, however.

Others use notes, but I don't think that is an elegant solution and can cause other issues such as difficulties with the mobile app (i.e. if you create hundreds or thousands of pages of notes, those will automatically have to sync with mobile. While it may be good to have access, it means a larger file size, more hassle in redownloading, susceptibility to corruption, etc.)

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 353
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 7:57 AM

JT (alabama24):

Ralph Wood:
What are some ways that I can capture the full article in Logos and later recall it through a search.  Personal Book?  Sermon Builder?  Other?  I want to, of course credit the source as well.

My personal solution is to create a personal book. It can be VERY simple (and take only a few seconds to update), or you can add extra functionality to it (now or in the future). Are you familiar with creating them? 

Another view... mine...   is that Personal Books causes double work. 1. you have to maintain a docx file to make the Personal Book from and then import it into a Personal Book.  2. To change the Personal Book, you have change the original docx file and then import it again.

To, while it is somewhat crude.... the Sermon Builder is simple and direct. No double work to get it down. 

Just my 2cents and imho.

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 75
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 9:51 AM

Thanks Graham, JT, and xnman.  Sounds like I was on the right track; just need to figure out which approach works best for me.  I am familiar with how to build a Personal Book and I have basic knowledge of Notes and Sermon Builder.  I'm probably more clumsy with Notes and Sermon Builder so I'll probably go with Personal Books initially. 

Thanks again!

Posts 29206
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 9:58 AM

xnman:
Personal Books causes double work. 1. you have to maintain a docx file to make the Personal Book from and then import it into a Personal Book.  2. To change the Personal Book, you have change the original docx file and then import it again.

True, but this entire process can take as little as 30-60 seconds. 

1. select all from website
  2. open document
  3. scroll to bottom
  4. paste
  5. save
  6. open pbb file
  7. press compile
  8. done

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS