Access to Logos if the internet goes down or Faithlife is blocked or banned

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 10
Rush Simonson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 3 2021 3:15 AM

From the Tin Foil Hat Department I would like to hear how Logos would work and access to my reasonably large library would be affected "when" Faithlife and/or Logos are blocked on the internet?  Is Faithlife/Logos using the AWS cloud as almost everyone in the world is?  Are there steps I should take to backup my collection to a large USB drive so it can be moved easily?

God's Speed,

Rush

Posts 33476
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2021 3:27 AM

Go to Program Settings. Set Use Internet to No. Experience for yourself what features are or are not available.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2021 3:36 AM

Logos will function offline.  So, you would continue to be able to use Logos as long as your computer keeps working.  However, what you will not have access to is any of the online features. 

Also, once the computer you have Logos installed on dies you would have no way to transfer Logos to a new computer.  Even though Logos will work offline, an internet connection is required when it is first installed on a new computer.  This is one thing I wish Logos would change. 

Posts 27053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2021 12:41 PM

Rush Simonson:
 Is Faithlife/Logos using the AWS cloud as almost everyone in the world is?

To what advantage?

Rush Simonson:
Are there steps I should take to backup my collection to a large USB drive so it can be moved easily?

You should install Logos on all your (desktop) devices, portable or otherwise and also install a mobile app version to your smart phone or tablet. I always backup my resources so I can re-install without downloading them (but I'm presuming that internet is available).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10
Rush Simonson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 5:01 AM

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  I ask about AWS because they have shown a proclivity for shutting off companies they don't like or that fall out of favor.  I think Logos should anticipate this and build their own infrastructure free of these political or social "norms"

We should also have a way that we can create a USB virtual machine that we can use between computers should we need to move or replace a failing computer.  I have a significant investment in Logos and no longer have a physical library that I once had so this is very important to me.

God's Speed,

Rush

Posts 93
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 5:59 AM

Rush Simonson:

We should also have a way that we can create a USB virtual machine that we can use between computers should we need to move or replace a failing computer.  I have a significant investment in Logos and no longer have a physical library that I once had so this is very important to me.

Assuming you have the available Windows license, there is no reason why you can't install Virtualbox or VMWare, create a Windows VM, and install Logos on that VM. You can then easily move the VM between hardware.

Posts 3076
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 7:27 AM

Rush Simonson:
"when" Faithlife and/or Logos are blocked on the internet

Going back over the last ten to fifteen years, this exact topic has had some of the most protracted and numerous threads on the forums. If you care to search that far back, you'll see many (probably thousands) of posts on it.

Rush Simonson:
Is Faithlife/Logos using the AWS cloud

I consider this to be a much bigger threat to the software than some dystopian nuclear war or societal breakdown. All it would take is for them to conclude Deuteronomy contains hate speech.

Funny, a much bigger threat than a war is something called the Cascadia Subduction Zone...but nobody seems to mention that. Hmm

Rush Simonson:
backup my collection

I keep hearing how well Logos runs offline, but the problem is, I've tried it (disconnected) and I don't think it runs much at all. Maybe I'm too particular, thinking this or that feature should work.

The good news is, if any of the above happen except the hate speech thing, your bible software will be the least of your worries. And to butcher a Meatloaf line (there's a bit of an unintended pun in there, and its a doozy), "One out of three ain't bad."

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3076
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 7:29 AM

Phil Quigley:
there is no reason why you can't install Virtualbox or VMWare, create a Windows VM, and install Logos on that VM. You can then easily move the VM between hardware.

Well, for the 1% with an IT degree, that's true. For the rest of us who don't even know what those words mean, it could be a little more difficult. I wasn't a math major, but I think that comes to about 99%, give or take. Big Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 524
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 7:44 AM

Doc B:
Going back over the last ten to fifteen years, this exact topic has had some of the most protracted and numerous threads on the forums. If you care to search that far back, you'll see many (probably thousands) of posts on it.

A bit of logical slippage ... the discussion was FL vamping, dieing, or a new unfriendly owner (what happened to OT). And yes, the geology surrounding the Bellingham site along with the backup site were mentioned. Logosians are never shy of inane possibles.

But I agree, much of Bible software backup is geekificationally obtuse. Which is just one more reason Libby wins ... license file, install file, resourses. Done. Just find an XP.  When BW died, they similarly offerred a backup approach foreign to 99% of the 2-legged race. I figured, for $200, I'd take the chance with a 100% loss.

Posts 93
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 9:26 AM

Think of a virtual machine (VM) as a computer inside your computer. VirtualBox, which is free, is just software that lets you run that computer inside your computer. So, if you had the appropriate licenses and installation software you could run a Windows 7 PC inside your newest Windows, Mac, or whatever operating system. From the Windows 7 VM's perspective, it is a full fledged Windows 7 install. You can then install Logos onto that VM. VirtualBox creates a folder to store all the files related to your VM that can be copied to any other media and imported to a VirtualBox install there. If that helps explain the process. Sorry, I work in the IT field and sometimes forget that what I consider common knowledge is not exactly common knowledge.

Posts 33476
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 11:21 AM

Rush Simonson:
 I ask about AWS because they have shown a proclivity for shutting off companies they don't like or that fall out of favor.  I think Logos should anticipate this and build their own infrastructure free of these political or social "norms"

A reliable source for this information? What I have seen living in their backyard is legal liability protection.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 33476
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 11:29 AM

Doc B:
All it would take is for them to conclude Deuteronomy contains hate speech.

Incredibly unlike given their cultural milieu - it's clear that you're not from the coastal Pacific Northwest ... and likely unaware of the religious background of the Gates.

Posts 27053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2021 2:17 PM

Rush Simonson:

I use an image backup which, in theory, allows re-installation to a replacement machine (but I only use it for a faulty drive). But I re-install Logos on a new machine from a backup of resources (Method 3). However, you might find Method 2 appealing.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3076
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 6:16 AM

Phil Quigley:
If that helps explain the process. Sorry, I work in the IT field and sometimes forget that what I consider common knowledge is not exactly common knowledge.

Yes, that is indeed understandable. But even if I figured out how to install the VB app and then find a license for a different installation of Windows (or whatever), I still don't know how I'd get all the stuff that resides on FL servers that makes Logos work onto the VM. In other words, you've moved the pawn a space forward but I can't see how it's helped. I now would have a VM that wouldn't run instead of a desktop app that wouldn't run.

??

Posts 93
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 8:27 AM

Here's a YouTube video on installing VirtualBox and then installing Windows 10 in that VM. If you have an old laptop or computer that came with an older Version of Windows, you could use the key that came with that. I think a lot of times that will be on a sticker on the bottom and will look something along the lines of 123AB-123AB-AABBCD-AAAA, basically a combination of letters and numbers with some hyphens. A license is just something that says you have the legal rights to run that copy of Windows. At that point, you would just copy over the Logos.exe installer to that virtual machine and install it just like you would on a physical computer. 

Posts 500
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 9:18 AM

One caveat.....  If you do set your program settings -->Internet ---> Use Internet  to "No" just remember your Logos Mobile Apps do not sync!  You have turn the "Use Internet" back to "Yes" in order for you mobile apps to sync.

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 500
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 9:27 AM

As to religion being shut down.... I know of a popular digital religious magazine that an article in the magazine dealt with the Biblical view of homosexuality and was shut down because it was considered hate speech. 

It's already happening folks!

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 33476
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 2:49 PM

xnman:
I know of a popular digital religious magazine that an article in the magazine dealt with the Biblical view of homosexuality and was shut down because it was considered hate speech. 

a single example without detail on why it was considered hate speech tells me nothing. I have seen a number of small religious sites that engage in little besides falsehoods and hate that have not been shut down ... but I wish I could more thoroughly ban them from my results.

Posts 1263
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 5:05 PM

For what it's worth... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deplatforming

I'm not inclined to expect that to happen in the near future. 

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 10
Rush Simonson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 6:08 PM

A virtual machine will not help if they have a validation server that cannot be reached and the software will not run.  They should consider adopting a blockchain type validation methodology that is not dependent on their servers being up.

Being taken down or banned is a very real threat.  The Biden Administration has signed close to the number of Executive Orders that FDR signed and I am hearing about awfully restrictive gun legislation being passed through the House.  If Logos resides on AWS it could be taken down in minutes for whatever hair brain reason Amazon comes up with.  Parlor thought they were clear.

My point is we need to be thinking several steps ahead.  Losing access to such an amazing resource would be tragic, not counting the large investment I have made in Logos over the last 15 years.  The coders at Logos are so good they could easily accommodate a fail safe system.  Should be Linux based and open source.

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS