Jeremiah experts out there...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 25 2021 10:30 AM

I notice Goldingay has a new prepub on Jeremiah being developed. Just curious as to how much has changed in scholarship since Thompson's book? Any thoughts?

Posts 2200
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2021 11:50 AM

can you tell me more about Thomson's book?  Is it in Logos?

and can you link to the prepub on Goldingay's book?

Posts 8
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2021 12:22 PM

Thompson's book is a part of the NICOT series. Here's the link to Goldingay's prepub: The Book of Jeremiah (The New International Commentary on the Old Testament | NICOT) | Logos Bible Software

Posts 3163
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2021 12:25 PM

Mark:

can you tell me more about Thomson's book?  Is it in Logos?

and can you link to the prepub on Goldingay's book?

Thompson's is ranked #1 by Challies and others. Goldingay updates it.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 2290
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2021 6:22 PM

Denver Seminary's annotated bibliography still includes Thompson's volume, describing it simply as, "The standard evangelical commentary since its publication;" however, with a publication date of 1980, it is the oldest on the list.  As far as scholarship goes, 41 years is a pretty long time, particularly given the fact that every other notable commentary is more recent.

At the very least, Goldingay's volume will provide a good survey of scholarship, which would of course fill in the gap since 1980, not to mention the actual interaction with said scholarship throughout the commentary; so for those reasons, I would say it is worth upgrading.

It would be the most academic commentary released in the last ten years or more, excluding the TOTC volume by Lalleman and Wright's The Message of Jeremiah because they offer less detail/academic focus.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2290
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2021 3:45 AM

Mattillo:

Hey Mattillo, thank you for prompting me to clarify.  My comments were only in the context of the recommendations from the Denver Seminary's Annotated Bibliography, and they do not have the Kaiser volume listed, but it is indeed a good volume.  I'm guessing they have overlooked it.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 4736
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2021 7:38 AM

Joseph Turner:

Mattillo:

Hey Mattillo, thank you for prompting me to clarify.  My comments were only in the context of the recommendations from the Denver Seminary's Annotated Bibliography, and they do not have the Kaiser volume listed, but it is indeed a good volume.  I'm guessing they have overlooked it.

Thanks and no worries. It is also possible I misunderstood the original point :) 

I would be curious what Denver has to say on that volume so I hope they look into it someday. I got it for free as an owner of the EEC but haven’t really dug into Jeremiah

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS