Layout clutter - I love Logos

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 333
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 3 2021 9:50 AM

I was looking at a Logos page that made suggestions for speeding up Logos. One of them was avoiding "layout clutter." As it turns out, that is what I love, having layout clutter. For instance, I have six to ten Hebrew Lexicons, all on the same letter set, so that I can look at the definitions and details on all of them at the same time. And I have about twelve different layouts I have developed depending on what I am using Logos for at the moment. The problem is that changing from one layout to another will take about a minute or two and I wanted to know, as I am going to be purchasing a new computer, what specs will help me to switch from one cluttered layout to the next cluttered layout. Thanks!

Posts 2507
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2021 10:18 AM

Several years ago when I was computer shopping, I printed out the recommended requirements and took them to the store with me.

https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007554992-Recommended-Hardware-and-Software

Posts 333
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2021 10:23 AM

Yes, I saw that. My question is, which of those specs is most important for improving speed. Thanks again!

Posts 509
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2021 12:20 PM

Without having clicked on the Recommended Specs link, I would say SSD and RAM, and maybe a graphics card. Personally, when I first got Logos, it was on a standard HD in my old MacBook Pro. I upgraded it to an SSD, and noticed a significant boost in speed. 

Posts 26816
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2021 12:54 PM

Gregorio Billikopf:

Yes, I saw that. My question is, which of those specs is most important for improving speed. Thanks again!

• 8th generation quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (or AMD equivalent)  ==> 10th or 11th Gen i7 may have 6-8 cores. Not much speed advantage with 11th Gen, and there is an issue with the integrated video that Faithlife has "fixed" by disabling hardware acceleration. A fast i5 quad-core would be OK.
  • 16GB of RAM                                                     ==> 8 GB may suffice if not running a "clutter" of programs
  • 512GB NVMe SSD                                             ==> 1 TB SSD if you like clutterSmile. Don't get a Hard Disk Drive (HDD).
  • 60GB Free space -- internal SSD                         ==>  install Logos first on a new system!
  • 2560 x 1440 resolution display                   ==> this is personal. Scaling is usually applied by the OS for readable text sizes.
  • 1GB+ DirectX11 Compatible Video Card      ==> not essential for 10th Gen Intel. Consider it for 11th Gen.
  • Highspeed broadband internet speed connection  ==> mainly for download speed. But much depends on your Internet Provider/cable modem/Wi-Fi modem.

Performance comes with the choice of i7/i5 processor + SSD for storage. RAM is also important as noted.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 961
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 8:26 AM

getting a computer with a SSD (most new computers have them) solved all of my lagging Logos problems. 

Posts 333
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 10:10 AM

Jonathan, Dave and Josh. Thanks so much for your help! (For some reason I did no see you posts until now.) These comments are very helpful. I’m traveling to California and plan to upgrade my computer. We have a Costco membership and their 17” Dell 1TB SSD looks promising. Best wishes from Chile and many thanks. 

Posts 333
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 10:21 AM

Thanks so much for these specs, Dave.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS