New Library "type" categories

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 17 2021 8:51 AM

I really like the new "type" categories that Faithlife has made for our library. It has really helped reduce the number of my resources that have fallen in to the "monograph" catch all. Since I can search by type, where I use to search primarily with my tags, does this make you rethink tagging your library? A lot of the type categories are what I have used for categories of tagging my library in the past. Does this make tagging resources unnecessary or are there still tags you would use that are not covered by the types?

Posts 5751
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 11:33 AM

I just want to note that the number, composition, and use of the different new types is still in flux and that books are still being re-typed daily to match up correctly to the new types, so whatever the best plan is going forward, it's probably too early to consider deleting existing tags.

“Whoever looks upon the Crucified One sees what love is.” — Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

Posts 27469
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 3:53 PM

Lonnie Spencer:
A lot of the type categories are what I have used for categories of tagging my library in the past. Does this make tagging resources unnecessary or are there still tags you would use that are not covered by the types?

Many of the new Types do not match my tagging, and this applies to existing types like Bible Commentaries, where many are more like Bible Notes, so I tag them as Notes! Handbook is far too generic to match any tagging  as you can have a Handbook for Prayers, Small Groups, Apologetics, Counseling, etc.

My tag for Apologetics covers 6 Types, including 56 Monographs yet to be re-assigned a new Type!

My tag for Counseling covers 2 Types, including 17 Monographs.

I will definitely continue to Search/filter with my tags rather than the new types, but they may eventually simplify some of my collection rules.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS