Ads while searching my resources

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
John Morrison | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:07 PM

I wonder if others find it as frustrating as I do that LOGOS continues marketing even when I am trying to search out my resources. I have many 1000's of resources with LOGOS, and have had Bible Software for about 35 years.  But when I am searching for my resources for something as simple as Bible Commentary on a very familiar passage, I have a hard time getting my existing commentaries to line up in a visible, easy to access manner.  BUT I do not have a hard time having multiple volumes marketed to me instead.

Posts 33837
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:11 PM

Welcome to the forums. What specifically is your problem with your views of the Bible Commentaries you own? The marketing is best handled by keeping the section closed (contracted).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5
John Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:18 PM

Thanks for speaking into this, MJ.  Well, I am studying Romans 12;1-2.  In all my preceding Bible software programs, I would pull up a passage, click on my library, run a search, and every piece I wanted to consider popped up in a chain of options.  So, for example, if I wanted commentaries and word studies but not journals, I marked those I wanted to consider in the search and they populated. When I attempt to do the same with LOGOS, I get an assortment of (poorly organized, it seems to me) journals and linguistic aids and articles, and virtually no commentaries.  However, it does populate with 4-5 commentaries I can buy to add to my collection.  Then I have to search individually within my library the commentaries to get them to open.

Posts 25351
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:29 PM

Have you tried using a Passage Guide to do this?

Posts 33837
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:33 PM

Ah, my sympathies. This is a simple case of not knowing how to work with Logos. Watch Passage Guide | Logos Bible Software. Then go to Passage Guide, delete the sections you are not interested in, enter your passage and you have something far closer to what you expect. OR if you want the quick fix:

1. Enter Open Commentaries Guide -- note in the drop down menu select it in the guide section
  2. Enter your passage into the Guide's reference box -- again select it in the drop down menu
  3. If you don't like the sort order, there is a choice of 6.
  4. Note there is no bookstore section.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5
John Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:36 PM

I'll try that! Thanks.

Posts 5
John Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:38 PM

Good. Thanks,  I went through all the tutorials when I first got it, but you are right; I didn't understand many parts of it. This suggestion (along with that of Graham) are very helpful.  Thank you both for your help.

Posts 5
John Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:45 PM

MJ and Graham - That is really great!  Thanks for the re-tutorial.

Posts 19430
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:49 PM

John Morrison:
Well, I am studying Romans 12;1-2.

Welcome Big Smile

Basic Search idea is filtering All Resources to desired Library subset (Lang:English -Type:Bible) followed by using Milestone search: 

{Milestone {ro12.1-2>}

is abbreviated search syntax for {Milestone <Bible Romans 12:1-2>}

Another suggestion is Guides => Passage Guide that has Commentaries section (can be sorted by Era)

94B3 Milestone Search Passage Guide Ro12 1 2

Logos Wiki => Library includes:

Milestone Search can also be used in Type:Bibles to show verses:

94B3 Milestone Search Bibles

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 33837
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:54 PM

John Morrison:
but you are right; I didn't understand many parts of it.

The problem is that the tutorials have to fit everyone ... rather than describe the tool in the way you would use it for your specific need. Just keep coming to the forums any time you think "there's got to be a better way".

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS