5. Heading 4
  6. Heading 5
  7. Blockquote
  8. Illustration
  9. Prompt

and the following special block types:

1. Scripture
  2. Quotation

We're exploring expanding our preset styles to include more component parts of sermons/homilies. Here are the ones we're currently leaning toward:

1. Heading 6
  2. Application
  3. Conclusion
  4. Explanation
  5. Introduction
  6. Invitation
  7. Prayer
  8. Proposition/Thesis
  9. Scripture
  10. Transition

A few of these may be semantic only (and styled as Normal text), but most of these would have different styles to help them stand out.

Would you find a richer set of preset styles and block types useful? Would you add to, subtract from, or modify this list? We want to strike the balance of hitting the broad set of sermon components that most people would use without having so many that the list becomes unmanageable.

Thanks for your feedback.

Posts 35841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:23 PM

Instruction is missing.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3261
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:27 PM

MJ. Smith:

Instruction is missing.

Can you define it and explain how it differs from or fits in with Explanation (what this text meant then) or Application (what this text means for us today)?

Posts 25912
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:33 PM

I like the idea Phil

One thing I would find helpful is a Discussion section.

We are keen to move towards a more interactive engagement with the congregation and so having a clearly identified Discussion section within a sermon would be helpful

Posts 35841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 2:42 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Can you define it and explain how it differs from or fits in with Explanation (what this text meant then) or Application (what this text means for us today)?

Instruction is an explanation of the faith/theology - it is tied to the text but is not explicit in the text. For example, instruction on the incarnation from the Christmas text, instruction of the structure of the eucharistic rite from the Emmaus text ... To think more broadly, sermons in some churches are allowed on texts such as the Heidelberg Catechism which is structured for 52 Sunday sermons; some churches have formal faith formation services that include sermons on scripture but with a catechetical or mystagogical bent; some churches have thematic revivals or missions ...

Aside: we are getting mighty close to the traditional 4 senses of scripture:

1. What does it say (plain meaning) - Explanation
  2. What am I to believe (allegorical) - Instruction
  3. What am I to do (moral) - Application
  4. What am I to hope for (anagogical)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3
Matthew R. Funk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2021 5:44 PM

I would love to see these options expanded. Thanks for working on it!

Posts 7
Robb Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 2:36 AM

How about being able to customize the styles?  I like to use different colors to make sections stand out.

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 4:27 AM

Has there been any updates on this for the Sermon Builder?

Posts 35841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 11:04 AM

Christian Alexander:

Has there been any updates on this for the Sermon Builder?

You can check the release history at Logos Release History to find the answer.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS