Unable to delete large number of words from a Word List to create a word list with frequency filter

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Daniel Ang | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 28 2021 4:53 AM

Hi everyone,

My task is simple: create a Word List consisting of all Hebrew words in the BHS with frequency occurring 40 times or more.

To do this, my plans were to:

1. Create a Word List and populate it with all lemmas in BHS
  2. Sort according to word count
  3. Delete all words occurring less than 40 times.

However, when I perform step 3, I shift-click the relevant entries, right-click and press Delete, yet I am unable to delete more than a few tens of words at a time. What seems to happen is that only the words which happen to appear on my screen are deleted. Since there are about 5,000 words to be deleted, the entire process would take hours for me to complete manually, requiring hundreds of clicks.

What is frustrating is that there seems to be no alternate way to create this Word List. For example, if there were a function to copy a subset of the Word List to a new one, then I could just select the relevant words and copy them. Right now, the only way for me to do this is to export the Word List to Excel or another program and perform all the required manipulations there.

Does anyone have an alternate approach to perform the above task?

Thanks beforehand for your help.

Posts 27856
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 3:03 PM

Daniel Ang:

Working with Word List is a pain, but I don't see any other way if you want to retain all the information e.g. you can use the Concordance tool for Lemmas to easily generate those occurring more than 40 times, but you have to export to Excel (Lemmas and Count) to get the lemmas back into a Word List, where the Count info is incorrect.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 19593
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 3:16 PM

Daniel Ang:

Welcome Big Smile

Faithlife Group => https://faithlife.com/introductory-grammar-vocabulary-lists/documents has a number of Vocabulary list documents that can be copied.

Searching Logos.com for Hebrew Vocabulary => https://www.logos.com/search?query=hebrew%20vocabulary&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe includes:

Building Your Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS