Change Layout Locks up (9.6 Beta 1)

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1257
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 8 2021 4:42 PM

If I try to change to a saved Layout, Logos locks up good and tight.

I hope that despite the fact that I had to shut down the program with Windows Task Manager, the necessary diagnostic information is available in the log files.

*Logos 9.6 Beta 1 Windows 10

0652.Logos 06-08-21 1637.zip

Posts 892
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 6:12 AM

I've had the same experience.  Attached are my logs from this morning.

(I also experienced this when opening a collection I wanted to update - not in these log files.)

8156.Freeze on change layout.zip

Posts 2337
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 6:20 AM

I was skeptical, tried it and Logos locked up tighter than a Small Group hug.

Posts 892
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 6:26 AM

GaoLu:
tighter than a Small Group hug

GaoLu, I love your description, but I was thinking more of a tight strangle hold on my sermon prep.

Posts 5498
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 7:46 AM

Not having this problem, so it's not universal.

Posts 892
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 7:49 AM

It is intermittent.

Posts 5498
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 8:14 AM

Tim Hensler:

It is intermittent.

Specific to certain layouts, perhaps?

Posts 892
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 12:03 PM

It has happened with a couple layouts I use a lot.  Maybe something common to both layouts (and some others). But other times I use those layouts and I don't have a problem.  Hopefully the logs will help Faithlife narrow it down - I haven't figured it out.  May be related to one of the background processes they worked on recently.

Posts 1257
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 6:14 PM

SineNomine:

Tim Hensler:

It is intermittent.

Specific to certain layouts, perhaps?

It happens for every layout I have tried.

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 3:40 AM

I am also experiencing this. You might have already discovered the workaround for now is to click the 'Clear all panels' button in between changes.

I should also add that some type of Windows update (probably from 6/8/21) applied yesterday. The major version is 2004; OS Build 19041-1052; Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0.

By the way, when it does work, it seems to be much faster now on our old kitchen desk notebook (HP, i3, 8GB, non-SSD).

1780.Logos.zip

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 452
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 7:38 AM

Thanks for sharing this, everyone. For a hang, we need to get additional logging. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 1666
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 10:11 AM

Here is a screenshot. It shows part of the previous layout, and freezes.

After that I've got 9.6 Beta 2 and the problem stays.

It seems not to lock when I use the "close all panels" button and then start a new layout. 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 892
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 1:10 PM

Hi Adam,

I installed the tool and it indicated it did so successfully, but when I ran it, it said it "Failed to remove temporary ETL sampling log file."

I don't see either a folder or a file that begins with "Logos Log F..." as indicated at he top of the failure message.

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 6:15 PM

I hope others are able to provide the advanced logs. After a number of attempts, the Performance Tool wouldn't work on my old notebook. A dialog complained that it was unable to execute -perf.exe. Maybe there's a logging tool to collect logs on the malfunctioning logging tool. The better computer in my office (also on the Beta channel) did not have the issue.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 1257
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 6:28 PM

Tim Hensler:
I installed the tool and it indicated it did so successfully, but when I ran it, it said it "Failed to remove temporary ETL sampling log file."

Unfortunately, I had the same problem. Sad

Posts 3188
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2021 8:41 AM

Tim and Harry,

Can you both manually create a folder in your user account's Documents folder and name it Logos Log Files? Then try the performance tool again when necessary.

Posts 1257
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2021 2:07 PM

Sadly the lockup problem is still there in 9.6 Beta 3. I am preparing to teach a class tonight, so I don't have time to do testing. I will try the performance monitor again when I get a chance.

Meanwhile, here are my Logos logs  from the latest lockup.

6835.Logos 06-15-21 1405.zip

If I hit the "nuclear button" to close all windows, then I can successfully open a saved layout.

Posts 1257
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2021 11:33 PM

Thomas Ball:

Tim and Harry,

Can you both manually create a folder in your user account's Documents folder and name it Logos Log Files? Then try the performance tool again when necessary.

OK. I did not have complete success, but I hope you will get some useful data.

The performance tool locked up with this error message dialog:

However, the performance tool did save a file. I put it on my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yworrwg1oriq6zs/Logos.sample.etl.zip?dl=0

The Logos log files are here: 8304.Logos 06-15-21 2313.zip

I hope this helps!

Posts 1666
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2021 3:19 AM

Today the Beta 3 came and the problem persists

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1257
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2021 12:17 PM

Yes. I posted my logs above. If you can post some too, perhaps FL can get a better idea of the pattern. It does not happen with all of my layouts.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS