Resetting content scaling to default

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1257
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 10 2021 7:39 PM

I find it annoying that if I change the default resource scaling, some resources do not change the display scaling. This is particularly common with Bibles for some reason.

Sometimes if I change the Content Scaling to 100% and then change the offending resource to the same setting as other resources, it will sync the scaling with other resources. Then I can then change the scaling in Program Settings and that resource will also change scaling. But this does not always work. Sometimes the resource refuses to change the scaling.

It would be helpful to have on the resource Panel menu a Reset or Default button by the scaling setting. This would force the resource to change to the default scaling in the Program Settings. Of course, this would not be necessary if the resource would listen to my Content Scaling setting in the Program Settings.

Posts 32928
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 10:55 PM

Harry Hahne:
I find it annoying that if I change the default resource scaling, some resources do not change the display scaling.

I may be completely wrong here, but it is my recollection that if a resource is not set to it's normal setting i.e. the longer cross-line on the scaling slider, that it is assumed the user set it where they wanted and global scaling will not affect it. That seems reasonable expected behavior to me. Setting the resource back to the default makes it respond to the global settings. But it is longer enough since I was testing it that my memory may be faulty.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1257
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 11:35 PM

MJ. Smith:
it is my recollection that if a resource is not set to it's normal setting i.e. the longer cross-line on the scaling slider, that it is assumed the user set it where they wanted and global scaling will not affect it.

I determined by experimentation that this will work (usually).

However, the default setting on the scaling slider on the panel menu is not obvious. All of the cross lines are the same length. It could be clearer where the default or "100%" position is. A Reset or Default button would make it easy to change a resource to the default scaling.

Also, the position on the scaling slider for a resource depends on the Content Scaling default in Program Settings. If the default is set to 120%, then the slider will be in a different position than it would be for the 100% default.

The other problem is that even if the slider for a resource is set to where it would be for 100%, changing the scaling in Program Settings does not always resize that resource. In the example below, the NASB and Greek New Testament were both set to the default 100% position. Then when I changed the Content Scaling setting in the program defaults, the Greek NT changed the font size, but the NASB did not change. So, even manually setting the size back to default does not cause the resource to sync with the size of the others in every instance. This can be very confusing to the user.

The sizing is more unpredictable if I change the default Content Scaling and then open a saved Layout. When I open a saved Layout, the resources will open in the size that they were when I saved the Layout, but Tools and Guides will change to the current scaling in the Program Settings. In the example below, I was using a larger default scaling and then I opened a saved layout. None of the resources in the layout opened at the current default scaling, but the Text Comparison Tool and the Topic Guide did pick up the current default scaling.

When I open a saved layout, even reducing the default scaling to 100% and then changing to a different defaault scaling does not cause the resources to change to the new scaling. The only way to get these resource to resize is to following these steps:

1. Change the default scaling to 100%.
  2. Change the scaling in each of the resources one at a time to 100%.
  3. Change the default scaling back to the size I want.

This is time consuming if I have a lot of resources open. I often work on my laptop on the road, then bring it home and connect to an external monitor and want to change the size of resource. I also often change to a larger size for presentation while teaching then change to a smaller size for study.

Posts 32928
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2021 3:25 AM

I strongly agree that FL has not given enough thought to the needs in a teaching presentation setting, that the default mark is difficult to see .... there is great room for improvement.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 330
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2021 6:54 AM

Harry Hahne:
I determined by experimentation that this will work (usually).

Your experiments are very interesting. I'm not sure what the best solution is (easier, what it isn't). In my case, I use smaller panels, and the minimum hebrew is still quite large. So, I reset the global resource font size down (to reduce the hebrew). Then, one by one, push the non-hebrew resources up. Sounds (and is) a bit crazy, but I use a single large layout, so the craziness occurred years back (doing all the re-sizings).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS