How can I use the graphics for some discourse features available in visual filters for academic writing?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Esteban | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 15 2021 10:44 AM

I'm a practitioner in pragmatic grammar and discourse analysis.  How can I use the graphics for some discourse features available in visual filters for academic writing? To clarify, I'm referring to the symbols for point-counterpoint, tail-head linkage, changed reference, etc. and would like to apply those in a separate word document.

Posts 507
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2021 11:46 AM

Welcome Esteban.

Esteban:
To clarify, I'm referring to the symbols for point-counterpoint, tail-head linkage, changed reference, etc. and would like to apply those in a separate word document.

I guess I'm not sure of your need. For example, in a discourse'd Bible, and as an example of a complicated structure (Mat 5:13), from the resource panel, you'd select Print/Export, and then choose a Word document. The result in Word shows the same symbols (plus some extraneous). 

Personally, that might be a starting point, but formatting directly in Word is easier.

Posts 33414
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2021 3:47 PM

My solution is crude -- brute force. I create a legend in Word into which I have copied the symbols from the documentation -- much easier than hunting down the unicode numbers. Then in Word, rather than use the insert symbol function, I do a copy and paste - leaving the legend open at the upper left of my screen. I went that route after finding my normal top symbols list was destroyed when using a more specialized set.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS