Data error???? Apocryphon in Factbook left side panel

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 26 2021 8:33 PM

Isn't Apocryphon simply the singular of which Apocrypha is the plural? So why is a group of singulars creating a singular group? Shouldn't the hierarchy be  Apocrypha --> Apocryphon?

Err 5

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3584
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 12:11 PM

Hi MJ,

I am not sure about the answer to your question. I've asked the Factbook team to take a look.

Posts 982
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 12:50 PM

We're using "Apocryphon" here to group a set of writings with a similar (sub)type, as we do for Acts, Epistle, etc. We still need some further consistency improvements on the titles and grouping. But in this case, "apocryphon" is used in the sense of a specific genre. That's a little different than the scope of the Factbook page on "Apocrypha" (https://ref.ly/logos4/Factbook?ref=bk.%25Apocrypha_Writing), which more specifically covers the Deuterocanon.

(Note the hierarchy of the various biblical writings is still being revised to better match what most users will expect.)

Posts 33001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 1:42 PM

Sean Boisen:
But in this case, "apocryphon" is used in the sense of a specific genre.

Interesting as I don't recall ever seeing it as a genre. A search of my library also brings up no case of it used as a genre but, on the surface at least, the Bookstore offers me some resources with that usage.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 982
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 2:48 PM

MJ. Smith:

Sean Boisen:
But in this case, "apocryphon" is used in the sense of a specific genre.

Interesting as I don't recall ever seeing it as a genre. A search of my library also brings up no case of it used as a genre but, on the surface at least, the Bookstore offers me some resources with that usage.

Right, I'm not claiming it's a genre, only that we're using here in a similar sense: it describes a set of writings with common characteristics, in this case the most salient being that they're conventionally titled as "Apocryphon of X". 

(You'll note if you click on "Apocryphon" in the Factbook sidebar that it doesn't navigate to a page, because there is no such pages: it's just a "grouping node". We've had to create a number of these to begin to get a working hierarchy over the 400k Factbook pages.)

Posts 33001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 3:45 PM

Ah, yes, now I understand.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS