Too many typos in ASV to report

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Kevin Buchanan | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 27 2021 9:24 AM

I found over 400 typos (mostly minor punctuation, like colon instead of semicolon, extra periods, etc, but a few minor word changes as well) in the Logos ASV version, and am not sure how to report them all. It would take forever to report them one by one...

I found them by doing a diff between the Logos text, and the ASV text at https://github.com/openbibleinfo/American-Standard-Version-Bible.

Any differences I found between these two, I compared with the scanned copy of the original 1901 ASV at https://archive.org/details/holybible00newy

I submitted a pull request to fix any errors I found to the https://github.com/openbibleinfo/American-Standard-Version-Bible github repository, but how can I let Logos know of all those typos I found?

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2021 12:28 PM

Welcome to the forums.  Maybe you could attach a doc file to the post?   

Posts 7
Kevin Buchanan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2021 12:45 PM

Thank you! Yes, I can do that. I'll write a script to get the results in a readable format, and post it here.

Posts 7
Kevin Buchanan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2021 6:44 PM

Ok, I reformatted the Logos and my "truth" ASV file, to put each verse on it's own line, and then used Beyond Compare to generate a pdf that shows the differences between the Logos ASV, and the ASV at https://github.com/openbibleinfo/American-Standard-Version-Bible.

I went through the above process to regenerated the diff and produce this file, and spot checked it, but didn't re-do the manual check against the scanned copy of the original 1901 bible (I did the manual check about a year ago, when I was checking the file on github for errors). So, if anyone finds a mistake I made during the process of generating the diff, let me know!

This should be enough to check the Logos ASV against the scanned copy of the original 1901 ASV.

2376.Logos_ASV_Compare.pdf

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 5:00 AM

Thanks! 

Posts 513
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 6:58 AM

Kevin Buchanan:
I found over 400 typos (mostly minor punctuation, like colon instead of semicolon, extra periods, etc, but a few minor word changes as well) in the Logos ASV version

I think you're making a bit of a mistake. Logos has what is known as the 'Star Bible' from 1992 (can't tell if it's the leather edition or the student; probably the student with random errors?).

I'm half-serious, since if you search some of the Logos/Star text (Duck Duck), it finds Biblia.com and clearly identifies it as the Star Bible. Of course, if you went to Logos.com, you might think you were buying the original ASV.

This is an excellent example of David Paul's complaint, given the Logos system knows it's 1992, but assigns it as 1995 (citation), and 1901 (resource boilerplate), with a FL 2001 publishing .... kind of select as desired.

Posts 7
Kevin Buchanan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 8:25 AM

Yes, I think you're on to something. If you look at the image on Amazon's listing for the Star bible here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bible-1901-American-Standard-Version/dp/0940999862/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Look at Isaiah 59:21 in the image. It is missing the apostrophe on the word "seed's", just like the Logos version is. So, it looks like Logos carried over some typos from the Star version of the ASV.

Hopefully Logos will still correct these out of a desire to be accurate to the original, although this makes me think they may not.

Maybe I'll try my hand at making a personal book that corrects the typos, and an ebook or sword module for on the go...

Posts 513
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 9:32 AM

Good catch.  I was impressed that Amazon clearly identified the source (below).

I was unimpressed the reviewers seemed thriiled at what was shipped. Print your own title page? And Amazon's close-relateds. At least they matched up the Literal version.

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 3:55 PM

Kevin Buchanan:

Maybe I'll try my hand at making a personal book that corrects the typos, and an ebook or sword module for on the go...

For a first pass only enter items that "differ". Then for all other verses enter something like "Ok in Logos Version" 

Then when using the text comparison tool add both, the Logos ASV and the "corrected" one.  Result will look something like this for a Bible that I have not yet entered all text.  [And marked as "NotYetEntered" where not entered]      [As I do different studies I add the text needed for that study, sometimes] 

RDR NotYetEntered REB The beast I saw resembled a leopardbut its feet were like a bear’s and its mouth like a lion’s. The dragon conferred on it his own power, his throne, and great authority. RSV And the beast that I saw was like leopardits feet were like a bear’s, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority.
Posts 19401
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 9:18 PM

Kevin Buchanan:

Welcome Big Smile

Thread => American Standard Version 1901 - Personal Bible without Chapter and Verse #'s may be helpful.

Kevin Buchanan:

This should be enough to check the Logos ASV against the scanned copy of the original 1901 ASV.

2376.Logos_ASV_Compare.pdf

Observation is comparison pdf having verse # while lacking Book and chapter # (later this week would like to start comparing with a 1929 printed ASV).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Kevin Buchanan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2021 7:25 AM

Thanks for the link -- I'll have to see how that ASV Personal Bible was put together.

Here's a diff with books and chapters. It's a little messy, but I think it's usable:

0216.ASVCompare_WithBookAndChap.pdf

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS