BUG: Refresh Guide refreshes too much

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5627
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 21 2021 12:10 PM

Verbum 9.7 Beta 2. Win 10. I have no idea whether this bug is new or old or beta only and I can't conveniently check.

To Replicate:

1. Open Passage Study Layout to Gen-Rev, after making sure that most of the sections of the Guide (other than the Commentaries section) will open closed.
  2. Adjust the prioritization of some of your Bible Commentaries in a separate Library tab.
  3. Click on the triple dots at the top right of the Passage Guide and then click on "Refresh Guide".
  4. Observe the guide slowly "refresh" all (or nearly all) sections of the Passage Guide, including the ones that are presently closed and were never open to begin with.

Expected behaviour: Verbum should not refresh Passage Guide sections that are not visible. "Refreshing" sections that have never been visible is even worse.

Note: I have not tested this on any other Guide type.

“The wisdom of the Scriptures is learned rather by prayer than by study.” — St. Philip Neri

Posts 33860
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 21 2021 3:14 PM

SineNomine:
Expected behaviour: Verbum should not refresh Passage Guide sections that are not visible. "Refreshing" sections that have never been visible is even worse.

This assumes that Verbum generates the data for a section at the time that section is opened - otherwise one would be mixing old data and new data within a single guide which could get very, very confusing. I don't know if that assumption is true.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3713
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 21 2021 3:28 PM

I've written a bug report.

Posts 27261
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 21 2021 3:45 PM

SineNomine:
Observe the guide slowly "refresh" all (or nearly all) sections of the Passage Guide, including the ones that are presently closed

A range of Gen-Rev will guarantee a slow refresh, but closed/collapsed sections should not be refreshed.

Cross References started refreshing when it was closed (it was taking a long time until I clicked Stop). And you don't have to change anything for a refresh to start working.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 5627
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 26 2021 11:01 AM

MJ. Smith:
This assumes that Verbum generates the data for a section at the time that section is opened

Verbum generates the data for PG sections at the time that those sections are opened. This is why Guides load so much faster when most sections are minimized.

Philana R. Crouch:

I've written a bug report.

Thank you! Yes

Dave Hooton:

SineNomine:
Observe the guide slowly "refresh" all (or nearly all) sections of the Passage Guide, including the ones that are presently closed

A range of Gen-Rev will guarantee a slow refresh, but closed/collapsed sections should not be refreshed.

Relatively slow, anyway. It would have been much, much faster (and less resource intensive) for me to generate a new Gen-Rev PG from scratch.

“The wisdom of the Scriptures is learned rather by prayer than by study.” — St. Philip Neri

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS