Link to PDF in Status Bar

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 2 2021 5:49 PM

I can link to a web page in the status bar by dragging the page's browser icon and dropping into the status bar. However, if the page being displayed in the browser is a local PDF, the status bar will not allow a shortcut to the PDF to be inserted.  Any suggested workarounds?  Why is the address of a PDF handled differently than a web page?

Thanks for any suggestions?

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 30649
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 5:59 PM

I assume this is an L9 desktop issue, right? If so, you may request a moderator to move this thread to that forum. 

Are you on Windows? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 6:13 PM

I am on Windows.  Can I place a link to a PDF using Mac?

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 6:40 PM

Floyd Johnson:
I am on Windows.

I can place a link to a PDF in the shortcut bar from File Explorer.  Drag until you see a placement I icon in the bar.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 7:12 PM

Yep, but big bar stays in place but links to its neighbor not the PDF. In your case, it links to COED rather than the PDF.

The icon also cannot be changed as I do for web pages.  I tried it with Chrome; I'll try a different browser when I get back to Windows machine.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 8:24 PM

Okay, I have now tried it with Chrome, Edge, and Opera - all giving me similar results. I have a PDF book that I would like to have access to within LOGOS.  When I transfer it all I get is this vertical bar that links to its neighboring icon and that cannot be changed to one of the available default icons.  Also, when I restart LOGOS, the vertical bar is gone. It does not work like a shortcut to a web page.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 36051
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 9:47 PM

Just a question not a suggestion -- are you able to attach the PDF as a favorite? If you can, have you tried moving it from favorites to the short cut bar?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 9:57 PM

MJ  - not sure how to make something external to LOGOS a favorite.  Any hints appreciated - I'm away from my desktop for the remainder of the night.  I'll try tomorrow, though it may be later in the day. My wife and I have a date planned till late afternoon.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 36051
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 10:04 PM

You can drag to Favorites just as you drag to the shortcut bar. In some cases, I can drag to favorites then to shortcuts when I can't drag directly to shortcuts. I haven't put the work in to determine when this happens - I just know to try it when dragging to shortcuts isn't working.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2021 10:13 PM

Floyd Johnson:

MJ  - not sure how to make something external to LOGOS a favorite.  Any hints appreciated - I'm away from my desktop for the remainder of the night.  I'll try tomorrow, though it may be later in the day. My wife and I have a date planned till late afternoon.

Download the PDF to your computer and link it via File Explorer.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2021 6:42 PM

Dave Hooton:
Download the PDF to your computer and link it via File Explorer.

Thanks, Dave. That did the trick. Still not sure why it was not working from browser like web pages do - but my problem is solved.

Also - sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Between preparing for a Bible Study, getting an MRI with sedation, and leading the Bible Study, my last 48 hours have full.  Finally found time to try you hint/advice tonight.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2021 2:05 PM

If it has a UNC address (file:///...) it will not work, even if it is on your computer!  A pdf with a web address (https://..) will work.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS