Please give this pre-pub some interest...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19641
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 7 2021 5:52 PM

Reinhold Niebuhr's Leaves from the Notebook of a Tamed Cynic was mentioned in this New Yorker article ("What American Christians Hear at Church"). I wanted to go take a look at it, realized I'd pre-ordered it from Faithlife but it's nowhere near complete.

Posts 1281
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2021 6:06 PM

What a beguiling discussion:

"The median sermon examined in the first survey was thirty-seven minutes long; Catholic homilies were the shortest, with a median of fourteen minutes. Not even that brevity satisfies Pope Francis, who recently advised clergy members to keep their sermons short: “A homily, generally, should not go beyond ten minutes, because after eight minutes you lose people’s attention.” (He joked, after his audience applauded the advice, “The Sisters, who are victims of our homilies, initiated that applause!”) By contrast, Pew found that the sermons at historically Black churches were the longest, at more than three times that length, with a median of fifty-four minutes. These sermons had only a few hundred more words than those from within the evangelical tradition, a detail that suggests oratorical style or musical interludes might be contributing to their length."

Logos would profit.

Posts 19641
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2021 1:24 PM

DMB:
“A homily, generally, should not go beyond ten minutes, because after eight minutes you lose people’s attention.”

There are those on my church's worship speaker committee (of which I'm a member) who wish we could keep all sermons to 10 minutes or shorter. Smile I'm fine with up to 15 min or maybe a little longer on occasions, if it's really riveting. When it's my turn to preach (only about once or twice a year), I appreciate not having to fill up 20-30 minutes of time. We do a lot of music in our services (even in the Zoom era), and find that hymns convey so much theology that the repeated singing and hearing of them can be as good for spiritual formation as the sermon and discussion time.

Posts 35787
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2021 3:09 PM

DMB:
The median sermon examined in the first survey was thirty-seven minutes long; Catholic homilies were the shortest, with a median of fourteen minutes.

Remember that the Catholics spend time on both the Word and the Eucharist ... the Eucharist is longer, there are more scripture passages proclaimed than in many Protestant Churches, and even our prayers are shorter - more of them, shorter in length. True story: The pastors in the University District have a breakfast meeting on the first Friday of each month. Our (Catholic) pastor made a point of asking, each time he was asked to lead the prayer "Catholic length" or "Protestant length" to which they would reply "Ecumenical length" which meant compromise with a length somewhere near the middle.It became a long standing joke in all collaborative efforts.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1281
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2021 4:30 PM

Rosie's 15 min would be a shocker, in our tradition (and nice). As a PK, we were supposed to be super-listeners (note-taking extra credit) for almost an hour. But communion was supposed to be a short in-His-memory quote ... Catholic Eucharist seems much more involved. The big challenge for us was verse-finding, since sermons had maximum verse hippity-hopping. I very much doubt an iPhone Bible could keep up, in those days.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS