Simple Verse search

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Batman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 8 2021 3:38 AM

Once again, this was brought up on one of the Facebook Logos forums. So, apparently it is not just me. 

Can we get Logos to incorporate a SIMPLE way to find a verse in the Bible. Like maybe from default? You know, without having to click this, check that, untick these resources. 

Unfortunately, I find it so much easier (and useful) to "Fuzzy search" Google (or in my case, DuckDuckGo) for free, than to use Logos, which has exceeded five thousand dollars, and hundreds in training, to no avail. 

Posts 25883
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2021 4:11 AM

Batman:
Can we get Logos to incorporate a SIMPLE way to find a verse in the Bible. Like maybe from default? You know, without having to click this, check that, untick these resources.

Without a bit more context I don't understand the issue you are describing.

Please provide a bit more details - maybe using the example you referred to in a Facebook forum

Posts 35775
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2021 1:41 PM

Batman:
Unfortunately, I find it so much easier (and useful) to "Fuzzy search" Google (or in my case, DuckDuckGo) for free, than to use Logos, which has exceeded five thousand dollars, and hundreds in training, to no avail. 

Unfortunately there is no simple algorithm for finding a verse. Imagine sitting yourself in front of 10 physical Bibles. Someone gives you some words that they think are from the verse ... and they think are from the same translations but they may hace mixed a couple of translations. You don't recognize the words as describing a verse. Find the verse. Ready Set Go ... That is the question you are expecting to be answered. Google solves the problem by putting thousands of people (a server farm worth) to work on the problem. Logos solves the problem by putting one computer on the problem. You are stuck with a stack of books, 2 eyes, and 1 brain. I also use Google on occasion to find a verse; I also use Google on occasion to find alternative vocabulary for theological concepts. But I understand why exceptionally well-trained AI on server farms out preforms Logos.and know while there are likely better fuzzy search routines than Logos is using, that no matter what they do Google will out preform them. And I also know that I cannot describe a better solution because I am asking the computer to be me in front of a stack of Bibles. Even if you give me concordances to all of them, tracking down the words in possible alternative forms and possibly synonyms and possibly crossing verse boundaries -- I still cannot make it a simple question with a simple answer.

And welcome to the forums Batman ... if it weren't for the post count, I wouldn't have known. Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19598
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2021 10:10 PM

Batman:
Unfortunately, I find it so much easier (and useful) to "Fuzzy search" Google (or in my case, DuckDuckGo) for free ...

Logos Bible Search & Fuzzy Bible Search in All Bibles for: not kill king did not find 1 Corinthians 2:8 as my memory played synonym word games with me. Logos Bible Search in All Bibles for: not crucify lord does find 1 Corinthians 2:8 in 118 Bibles, but Fuzzy Bible Search does not.

DuckDuckGo search for not kill king found 1 Corinthians 2:8

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS