How to find what the church father said about.....

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1418
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 14 2021 10:04 AM

I want to find out what the early church fathers said about prophecy, but there have been other times I would like to know about other things.......is there a way?

I see this.....https://www.logos.com/product/137138/a-dictionary-of-early-christian-beliefs but I am unsure if its adequate????

Posts 1168
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 10:43 AM

It's more than adaquate, relative to a subject ... inclusive of NT writers, and then chronologically moving later, with estimated dates and links.

But like most constrained dictionaries, the subject list is naturally limited.

Not your question, but illustrative of the difference, Retter's index of the Talmud is almost 800 pages ... just the index.

Here's the DECB entry (lengthy):

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 11:11 AM

Mike Tourangeau:

I want to find out what the early church fathers said about prophecy

Could this resource be of any help (haven't read it myself, though)?:

Prophecy in Early Christianity and the Ancient Mediterranean World | Logos Bible Software

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 1418
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 11:28 AM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:
Could this resource be of any help (haven't read it myself, though)?:

Yes...I think that may. Thank you.....not sure why that didn't pop up in my searches. 

Posts 35573
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 12:47 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
I see this.....https://www.logos.com/product/137138/a-dictionary-of-early-christian-beliefs but I am unsure if its adequate????

Bercot, which you reference, and Faith of the Early Fathers (3 vols.) | Logos Bible Software are the two classic references sold by Logos. The Catholic Topical Index is also helpful.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS