Ipad Pro with M1 and Logos 9 and highlighting

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 32
Mark Winder | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 25 2021 9:40 AM

Hello Folks, I am considering an IPad Pro with the new M1 processor. From reading the forum it looks like Logos 9 will run on it very well. Do I need the Apple pencil to do highlighting, or can I highlight with any instrument (like my finger or a rubber tip screen thingy)?

Thanks for your help!

Posts 25973
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2021 9:44 AM

Highlighting works just fine with a finger on the mobile apps.

Just checking you are aware that the full Logos software is not available on the iPad platform? The mobile app, which does run there, provides reduced levels of functionality.

Posts 30664
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2021 10:03 AM

Mark Winder:
I am considering an IPad Pro with the new M1 processor. From reading the forum it looks like Logos 9 will run on it very well.

I am unaware of any posts referencing the iPad Pro with the M1. In my opinion, that would be overkill for using the mobile app and there would not be any advantages to that device. 

On the other hand, there would be considerable advantage for the desktop app to having a MacBook Pro with the Apple M1 Pro  or Apple M1 Max chips.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 32
Mark Winder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2021 10:12 AM

Thank you for your help. Do you know how reduced the functionality is? I plan primarily to use it for reading, and reserve the heavy duty research stuff for the laptop. Can I still access most of the program? Thank you!

Posts 32
Mark Winder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2021 10:14 AM

Thanks for your help. I am not familiar with the apple platform, other than using an Ipad. I use Logos 9 on my windows laptop and it works great. I want to use the ipad primarily for reading. Can the apple m1pro or macbook pro also function like a tablet? Sorry I know almost nothing about Apple other than their Ipad and their stock performance!

Posts 1447
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2021 10:36 AM

Mark Winder:

Can the apple m1pro or macbook pro also function like a tablet? Sorry I know almost nothing about Apple other than their Ipad and their stock performance!

A MacBook Pro M1 and all Apple laptops don't have touchscreens. To some degree, an iPad can supplement a MacBook using Sidecar. But not as you're wanting.

And both the mobile FL apps and web app are VERY limited relative to the desktop.  The apps do have some tools, but if you're used to the desktop, you'll quickly get disappointed. They're readers with a few extras.

Your best bet would be something like a Surface (MS).

Posts 76
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2021 11:33 AM

I own a 16" MacBook Pro M1 and an iPad Pro. From my experience, the iPad app is very limited in functionality in comparison to the desktop application. The Apple Pencil doesn't add additional functionality. You're able to be more precise with text selection using the pencil. I mainly use the iPad app when I'm at church to follow along. For deep dive Bible studying I always resort to the desktop application. Sometimes I'll use the iPad as a second monitor.

Posts 32
Mark Winder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2021 2:57 PM

Thanks folks, very helpful.

Posts 2849
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2021 11:04 PM

I use an iPad Air from 2019. You don't need the horsepower for the mobile app but I am sure it's nice. If they can push more functionality into the app, I would be all for that. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 8:06 AM

Ryan:
I mainly use the iPad app when I'm at church to follow along. For deep dive Bible studying I always resort to the desktop application.

I almost always use the desktop appp to study and take notes. Then I use the iPad for teaching, using the notes a created on the desktop. The mobile app is good for reading, but I find it far too limited for serious study.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS