NET Bible

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 4 2021 10:30 AM

What is the NET Bible? How does the 1st and 2nd editions differ?

Posts 1850
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 10:47 AM

Christian Alexander:

What is the NET Bible? How does the 1st and 2nd editions differ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_English_Translation

https://netbible.com/changes/

Posts 711
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 1:44 PM

Christian, I did not really understand what the NET Bible was until I had full access to the 1st edition notes. I read it when pressured to complete an assignment when other translations had wildly different translations that I was comparing. The NET Bible provided a summary and explanation of what I was discovering in the different translation.

I am as much a newbie as you. Learning all this stuff is like being sprayed with a firehose sometimes. I read the wiki and website, but did not understand until I started using it. I did not have enough information to know where to place the resource in my wishlist. Now that I have it, I would definitely repurchase it, but that is me, and might not be best for you.

Is there any way that you can gain temporary access to the 1st edition notes while you are writing a paper? I have not used the 2nd edition notes, but I have read that not everyone thinks they are better. I will stick with the 1st edition for now.

Posts 711
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 9:09 AM

I did a lot more research on the NET Bible, here at the forum, and other places.

Where do the NET Bible notes stand as quotes in research papers for students that have not completed their basic original language studies?

The 2nd edition with it's tighter integration with Strong's looks interesting. I see that Logos lists the 2nd as prepub, but it looks like it has remained that way for awhile.  Will it have all the Strong's integration that I see it having at other places?

Posts 1183
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 11:00 AM

Kathleen Marie:

I did a lot more research on the NET Bible, here at the forum, and other places.

Where do the NET Bible notes stand as quotes in research papers for students that have not completed their basic original language studies?

The 2nd edition with it's tighter integration with Strong's looks interesting. I see that Logos lists the 2nd as prepub, but it looks like it has remained that way for awhile.  Will it have all the Strong's integration that I see it having at other places?

I can't imagine Bible notes being an accepted source, unless they're historical, or a well respected author/translator.  We're talking academic, not church, etc.

But v2.0 is refreshing and probably a first in maybe 2,000 years .,. a goal of being faithful to the original autographs (not the later autographs).  So many earlier translations were trying to be faithful to just copies.

Posts 711
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 12:22 PM

DMB:

I can't imagine Bible notes being an accepted source, unless they're historical, or a well respected author/translator.  We're talking academic, not church, etc.

But v2.0 is refreshing and probably a first in maybe 2,000 years .,. a goal of being faithful to the original autographs (not the later autographs).  So many earlier translations were trying to be faithful to just copies.

Thank you! I have consulted my Logos NET Bible, and found it helpful, but I didn't feel the need to quote the notes to make my point. I can imagine such a scenario, though. Too often, I really was introduced to an idea from a lay/folk source, but I go to great lengths to find another more "acceptable" source that says the same thing, so that I won't lose points because I quoted "lazy" and forbidden resources.

Posts 35603
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 2:21 PM

Kathleen Marie:
  Will it have all the Strong's integration that I see it having at other places?

If you are new to Bible study avoid Strong's like Covid-19! Wink Strongs is geared to the KJV and was very useful until computerized Bible study made it obsolete. And I could quote Mo Proctor on that if I wasn't too lazy to find the right video ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 711
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 4:24 PM

Thank you! I had to do some research to understand what you meant.

Mo Proctor is Morris Proctor I assume. My initial search was to search Google videos for "Mo Proctor Strong's" and that brought up nothing. A forum search gave me the full name of the seminar guy; I have watched his free videos, but there are not many free ones. He is part of the blur of all I am learning, but not his nickname, until now.

I am able to understand what you are saying about Strong's after having used different software packages. I think I understand why the hardcopy and less powerful softwares are using the advertised new Stron'g feature and why Logos would have no need of it. I did not make the jump to what you are saying on my own. Thank you! I totally understand.

You all have been very helpful! This is one of those situations where I am so untrained that I didn't even know what I didn't know so didn't know what to ask. Thank you for your patience.

Posts 2682
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2021 9:25 AM

Christian Alexander:
What is the NET Bible?

The NET was originally planned as a dynamic online translation where users could post their arguments to be considered (think of a WIKI). As such it is fluid and difficult to quote because of the constant flux. However they have chosen to memorialize the translation as it has existed at certain times (1st & 2nd). It is difficult to find a list of who the editors are, but I believe Dan Wallace and colleagues at Dallas Theological Seminary make up the core of the editorial team.

The FREE current state of the notes is available at Bible.org Since I know Christian is working on John 1 - here is the link https://netbible.org/bible/John+1 

Personally, I find the TC (textual Criticism) notes to be the most helpful to quickly make me aware of most of the places where variants exist.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS