scrolling not smooth

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Daryl Reynolds | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:34 AM

I'm excited about Logos 4 Mac, but one thing keeps me from using it:  scrolling.  On the previous Mac version, scrolling with the mouse ball/wheel is smooth and responsive, just like it is when browsing web pages in Safari.  In Beta 3, it's jumpy, which breaks my concentration and focus on the text.  Is this simply an optimization issue that will be fixed at launch, or are we stuck with it?

Thanks,

DSR

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:44 AM

DarylReynolds:

I'm excited about Logos 4 Mac, but one thing keeps me from using it:  scrolling.  On the previous Mac version, scrolling with the mouse ball/wheel is smooth and responsive, just like it is when browsing web pages in Safari.  In Beta 3, it's jumpy, which breaks my concentration and focus on the text.  Is this simply an optimization issue that will be fixed at launch, or are we stuck with it?

Thanks,

DSR

I would suggest detailed description of what resources are open and what link sets are being used, as well as logs. I don't think this would be normal behavior at this point. Optimization is not through, (I assume). But I know that on my low end MBP, scrolling is not better than it has ever been throughout the Alphas. It was probably my biggest annoyance. (Not the best choice of words I know.) But scrolling now is on par with my windows (parallels) version on the same machine. In fact, I think it is better in that Mac scrolls by pixel and Windows scrolls by line. All that said, I don't think this is as good as it gets. But what you have describes does not sound as good as it could be.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:49 AM

Dewayne Davis:

DarylReynolds:

Thanks,

DSR

I would suggest detailed description of what resources are open and what link sets are being used, as well as logs. I don't think this would be normal behavior at this point. Optimization is not through, (I assume). But I know that on my low end MBP, scrolling is not better than it has ever been throughout the Alphas. It was probably my biggest annoyance. (Not the best choice of words I know.) But scrolling now is on par with my windows (parallels) version on the same machine. In fact, I think it is better in that Mac scrolls by pixel and Windows scrolls by line. All that said, I don't think this is as good as it gets. But what you have describes does not sound as good as it could be.

Rereading your OP I am now confused as to what previous version you meant. I thought you meant the Alpha, but now think you may have meant the 1.1 version. If so, then be encouraged that it will get better with the optimization and is far better now that it was.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 3
Daryl Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 6:22 AM

That's right, by "previous Mac version" I meant 1.1.  Thanks for your response!

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 7:32 AM

Scrolling is one of my big annoyances with the Mac version. It has been very jumpy for me throughout the Alpha/Beta process. I anticipate, hope, and look forward to seeing big improvements as optimization continues. 

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:50 PM

Chris Roberts:

Scrolling is one of my big annoyances with the Mac version. It has been very jumpy for me throughout the Alpha/Beta process. I anticipate, hope, and look forward to seeing big improvements as optimization continues. 

Me too!

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 34
Timothy C. Seal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 8:22 AM

Scrolling is an issue on Beta 3 regarding the Exegetical Guide.  My Passage Guide scrolls smoothly.

Posts 1
Nathan Wise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 8:59 AM

almost all resources scroll "fairly" smooth for me.... Scrolling through Bible text is where my biggest "hang ups" are. Hope it gets completely optimized as well...

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 9:03 AM

Nathan Wise:

almost all resources scroll "fairly" smooth for me.... Scrolling through Bible text is where my biggest "hang ups" are. Hope it gets completely optimized as well...

That's more or less my experience. I wouldn't describe any scrolling as smooth, but most resources are not too bad. The longer the resource, the worse the scrolling. Scrolling in the Bible jumps quite a bit.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 9:08 AM

Nathan Wise:

Scrolling the ESV was always my biggest frustrating experience and kept me using parallels. However, currently, even with lots of markup, it flows rather well. It used to pause and jump. Now, though not as smooth as other programs, I never use parallels. I do however expect much more optimization, taking advantage of the benefits of the OS X underlying graphics code.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 9:23 AM

Dewayne Davis:
I do however expect much more optimization, taking advantage of the benefits of the OS X underlying graphics code.

I've been curious just how much Logos ties directly into OS X API's since it is built on Mono. I know Logos has said before that some of the optimization is done on Mono itself.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 9:29 AM

Chris Roberts:
I've been curious just how much Logos ties directly into OS X API's since it is built on Mono

The core of the application runs on Mono. Anything that draws to the screen uses Apple's APIs.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS