Can Logos 4 Be Run from a Portable (USB) Hard Drive?

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 5:48 PM

Michael G. Halpern:
Thank you for the info.  How might I go about doing this with a portable drive?

Before you begin the process there are a few things to consider.

1. Can you install the VMware Player on your work machine...Do you have local admin rights?
  2. Is there enough RAM in your work machine?  4GB would be excellent, 2GB so so...any less and I'm not sure it would be worth all the trouble.

A quick overview on the VM creation.

1. Goto www.vmware.com and download the free standalone converter and the free VMWare Player. (You will have to create a free account before you can download it.)  This will allow you to convert your existing L4 machine into a VM.  After downloading run the converter and make sure you choose "VMWare workstation" as the type, and "VMWare Player 2.5x" as the product.  Choose your external drive as the destination.
  2. Make sure you copy the VMware Player download file to your external drive.  Run the download on your work computer and install the player.  After a reboot open the Player and click "Open Virtual Machine" and browse to your external drive and click on your converted L4 machine.   Thats it!

I think there may be better instructions here in the forums somewhere...I am slammed with work right now this is all I had time for at the moment.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 6:31 PM

BrentHoefling:

Porrtableapps.com ? Anyone tried that?

It looks like this is just a suite of portable versions of some common open source applications (OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Google Chrome, Skype, Audacity, GIMP, VirtualDub, VLC Media Player, etc.). Since there isn't a portable version of Logos that runs on that platform, no this wouldn't be a solution.

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS