New user, best practices on note-taking / highlighting?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Greg Michalec | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 11 2022 10:51 AM

I have switched to the web-based Logos as my primary Bible study app, paired with the mobile app. So far, it's fantastic and I have started highlighting, using notes, using notebooks, and using tags. 

Before I get too far into it and figure out that I should have done it differently, I wanted to run my current system past some veterans of the software.

• So, I can highlight a passage, and tag or leave a note on that highlight. I can also leave a note on a passage without "highlighting" it. Both methods appear to be equally searchable / sortable. Other than preference, are there other levels of functionality that recommend one method over another? Is the idea that a "highlight" should be used for a note when the note is directly related to the passage? And a note used as more of a general note that might pull from several ideas or passages?
  • If I wanted to "tag" a passage as being part of a broader topic, is there a way do that without a highlight / note? Or does a tag always have a highlight / note?
  • It seems that I can use tags or notebooks to group things together, or I could alternatively just use the other filters to group together (i.e. using the Matthew filter instead of manually grouping notes from Matthew together)? Any nuance here?

Anything I'm missing in terms of organization or thoughts on these questions would be appreciated!

Posts 304
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2022 3:22 PM

You might look into "Favorites." I don't use them, but it sounds like they would meet your need to tag but not show up in the tagged resource. Can be organized into folders and sub-folders.

https://wiki.logos.com/favorites

It took me a while to get used to Notes but now I use them all the time. I'm sure the way I use them is different from others. There are so many possibilities and the flexibility is tremendous so basically once you learn the ropes you can bend them to your will.

-john

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 5
Greg Michalec | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2022 10:07 AM

Thanks John.

I've noticed what you describe as I've started to dig into everything; there are lots of tools and lots of ways to do things. Looking forward to building out my system.

Posts 690
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2022 1:05 PM

I've made hundreds of notes using notes. When I come across a noteworthy article or quote, I'll copy and paste it into notes, tagging it with a Bible passage that I associate in my mind. One idea goes into one note. I don't put multiple ideas into one note.

If you're searching for a quote later, narrow your search to My Documents. This yields good results. The one negative is after you've accumulated a lot of notes, and you want to scan through your riches, the process is a slow drag.

It's not a perfect system. I'm too far in to change now. But rarely do I consult my notebook collection of quotes. It's quick and simple to look in Logos.

Posts 8634
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2022 5:16 PM

Buy learn Logos for note taking training or sign up for one month MP seminars 

Posts 460
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2022 11:56 AM

Verbum software is almost the same as logos. This is a 17 minute video by a priest aimed at new users, specifically on the topic of notes and highlighting.

https://support.verbum.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053533311-4-Use-Verbum-to-Highlight-Text-and-Take-Notes

Here is another video by a different priest/professor aimed at students brand new to Logos. The topic is wider and aimed at getting a student ready to read the New Testament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS30ria3gNA&t=58s

Some of the priests provide a more gentle introduction to the software. Or at least that is how I received it. The priests got me over some type of hump.

Verbum 9 Bronze, Logos 9 Bronze

Posts 304
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2022 12:47 PM

Kathleen Marie:

Verbum software is almost the same as logos. This is a 17 minute video by a priest aimed at new users, specifically on the topic of notes and highlighting.

https://support.verbum.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053533311-4-Use-Verbum-to-Highlight-Text-and-Take-Notes

Thank you for posting this video. It is wonderful and Father Dalton is quite a gifted teacher.

-john

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 460
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2022 3:10 PM

John C Connell Jr.:

Thank you for posting this video. It is wonderful and Father Dalton is quite a gifted teacher.

-john

Before I started watching the priests for Verbum software, I was only using Logos for writing academic papers. I did all my devotional and private study in other software. The priests ... I don't know. I just know that something changed.

Verbum 9 Bronze, Logos 9 Bronze

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS