The ESV Expository Commentary (ESVEC) vs The Expositor's Commentary (revised) (REBC)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 22
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 15 2022 3:15 AM

I am a layman teaching the NT.  I recently purchased the partially completed ESV Commentary at a very attractive price.  For the  time being I have the volumes needed. Will acquire the final 3 volumes when available. 

I know the Expositor's is a standard.  It, too, is currently offered at an attractive price.  

Can anyone with knowledge of the two comment on the differencies.  The ESV is supposedly a newer follow-on to the Expositor's.  It appears less scholarly than the Expositor's.  Does anyone think it makes sense to consider both?

Thanks for your opinions.

Phil

Posts 1979
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 7:09 AM

Phil Cooper:
The ESV is supposedly a newer follow-on to the Expositor's

I don't think there is any connection between the two, so don't let that be a factor in making a decision.

I think, if you can afford it, and you think the Expositor's is a useful commentary, you would be happy having both.

You can find sample pages of the Expositor's online and compare with the ESV Expository that you already have.

BTW: Are you aware that there is an older Expositor's and a newer, Revised Expositor's?

https://www.logos.com/product/5457/the-expositors-bible-commentary-ebc

https://www.logos.com/product/20185/expositors-bible-commentary-revised-edition-rebc

Posts 9024
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 8:25 AM

They’re both different sets. The ESVEC is literally an exposition of the text with helpful outlines. You could literally preach from them, just tweak it to your own personal style.

The Expositor’s Bible Commentary (EBC) is more for research while you’re exegeting the text, but it also contains helpful outlines and notes on the text.

They’re both excellent, but ESVEC is incomplete while the EBC is complete and two versions are available (Original and Revised).  If you want ready to use material for sermons then the ESVEC is the better choice. If you want to do your own research then the EBC (Original or Revised) would be more helpful and it has more content.

DAL

Posts 22
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 4:38 PM

Levi and DAL,

Thank you both for your very fine, useful responses.  I spent a portion of this afternoon reviewing and comparing the two sets.  Thanks to your suggestions I have decided to stay with what I've got.  Even though the Expository is not yet complete I have everything I'll need for the foreseeable future.

Thank you again for your generous advice.

Phil

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS