how to use commentaries - the non-Bible ones

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1143
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 20 2022 8:46 PM

I have 120 books typed as commentary.  Maybe 20 on extra biblical books like the apostolic fathers, pseudepigrapha.  

I'm trying to figure out how I can use them.

I tired putting them into a collection, then a guide, but then it asks for a Bible reference.

If I'm in a text and click on the selection menu, I find no way to access them.

If I use cited by, I have to wade through a lot of tedious stuff like dictionary entries for every word, then a lot of sources with abbreviations I don't recognize and click on every one individually but then they won't be only commentaries, but encyclopedias, etc.

I just want to see commentaries.

what can I do?

thank you

Oh, if you post something, I don't get a notification, so I may not see it right away.

Posts 35829
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 10:34 PM

As you have already discovered, most of these don't meet the requirements for the Guides. However, they usually share an index and therefore can be set to scroll together:

• in a link set
  • in a parallel passages set (think create a collection with parallel passages)
  • in a multi-resource panel

(Yes, this is the same answer I gave elsewhere).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1143
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 3:53 PM

Hi MJ

So are you saying that I need to identify the books first, then open them and link them while reading something rather than being able to click on something and Logos will find something for me?

thank you

Posts 1312
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 4:02 PM

I think I hear Libby on the label!  There was a time, you could select your index and see the choices. Parallels can get maddening, when it switches the index it's using.

But, just guessing, this area will be improved ... it's too obvious. In the meantime, you become familiar with which Josephus has which index, which pseudepigraphia again, and which Philo. Again.

Posts 35829
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 4:15 PM

Larry Craig:
rather than being able to click on something and Logos will find something for me?

Yes, I am saying that the early church fathers work like Calvin, Luther, Aquinas, Augustine . . .Searches on the relevant datatypes create lists of possible related materials.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 645
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 9:05 PM

You can try something like this if you want to.

I got this technique from a Morris Proctor Logos training video.

He calls those types of resources Non-Versified, as in they are not indexed on bible reference or Bible milestones.

1) You need to apply a tag to each resource. Use whatever you like but he recommends "Commentary:Non-Versified".

2) You then need to make a collection and put all of those resources so tagged into a collection. Call it (if you want to of course) "Commentary:Non-Versified". The naming keeps things simplified and together.

3) Then you can run a Passage guide on what ever verse/range you like.

4) Make sure that you add a "Collections" section, AND That you select the "Commentary:Non-Versified" collection for that section.

Your Passage Guide search will then also search those Non-Versified resources and pull up hits matching the scripture reference.

The screen capture below shows a sample Passage Guide set for John 1:1.

The resource that I chose from  the search results was indexed on Chapter/Page only and not by verse.

(Sorry that the screen capture is so big)

Posts 645
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 9:14 PM

P.S.

Click on the "Collections" section to reveal the "Settings" drop down menu on the right hand side.

There you can select the "Collection" that you want the Passage Guide to use.

Note that you can add Multiple "Collections" sections to your Passage Guide so you could have a section for each "Type" of Commentary or resource that you may have tagged.

Posts 35829
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 10:21 PM

Morris is addressing a slightly different problem -- finding the commentary on Bible passages in resources without Biblical references. If I understood the OP correctly, he is looking at a non-Biblical text and wanting to find the commentary on that particular text. For example, if I am reading Aquinas' Summa Theologica how do I see the commentaries on Summa Theologica.

Posts 1143
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 4:47 PM

either I am missing something here or my post was confusing to begin with.

all the books that I have that discuss Bible passages that are not commentaries, I have tagged  by the books of the Bible they discuss.  So if I'm studying Matthew, I add my collection of Matthew to the passage guide.

But I have a hundred books labeled commentaries, and a lot of them are on the apostolic father or other early Christian books, and I have no way to search them.  Can't have a passage guide.  Using cited by brings up way too much needless stuff.

Posts 35829
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:01 PM

Larry Craig:
my post was confusing to begin with.

I was the one who misread you.

Larry Craig:
a hundred books labeled commentaries

"Bible commentaries" are commentaries on the Bible; "Commentaries" are commentaries on any non-Biblical text.

Larry Craig:
I have no way to search them

Use the advice above from Morris Proctor - create a collection and put that collection in the Passage Guide. I mistakenly thought you want to access in parallel to the resource they are a commentary on.

Posts 1143
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 5:51 PM

I already did what MP said a long time ago.  Any monograph with material on Matthew has a tag matthew, and I add the collection to the passage guide when I want to use it.

My concern was if, say, I'm studying the apostolic fathers, how best can I access the commentaries written on them?

Or the pseudepigrapha?

There's no passage guide for them.

Cited by brings up too much other stuff.

thank you

Posts 35829
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 6:01 PM

You have identified one of the major holes in the Logos/Verbum environment. I strongly agree that this is an area that should receive attention.

Posts 645
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 9:05 PM

Larry Craig:
My concern was if, say, I'm studying the apostolic fathers, how best can I access the commentaries written on them?

I think I am also misunderstanding...

Let me see if I have this straight...

You do NOT want what a Father says about sone scripture but rather what some commentator says about the particular Father themselves that you are studying?

Posts 1312
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 27 2022 10:48 AM

MJ. Smith:

You have identified one of the major holes in the Logos/Verbum environment. I strongly agree that this is an area that should receive attention.

Not advertising for A-Company, but their system is similar to Parallel but in search.  If there's a matching index, it can show other related resources (without lexeme support; 'verse').  I was in the Ugarit Databank, as below.  For the curious, why 'Danel', it comes from Eze 14:14 etc and then shows up later in Jubilees as senior to Enoch (prior to Ugarit discoveries ... how's that!). NJB actually goes with Danel. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS