need technical search help

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Fred Girdwood | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 14 2022 11:58 AM

In John 5.2, he refers to the pool at the sheep gate in the present tense.

How do I find places where the New Testament historical books refer to past places and things in the present tense?

@VP... plus what?

Posts 26054
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2022 12:37 PM

Trying to make sure I understand what you are looking for

Fred Girdwood:
In John 5.2, he refers to the pool at the sheep gate in the present tense.

I assume you are referring to the words "there is in" - is that correct?

Fred Girdwood:
past places and things

What do you mean by past places and things? Things that were present at the time of writing but no longer there, or something else?

Posts 5
Fred Girdwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2022 1:30 PM

Does John use the present tense to talk about places/things that are gone before he writes?

Jerusalem was destroyed in A.D.70, but John writes as though the sheep gate is there in A.D.100?

How do I search for other texts/authors which use the present tense of places/objects that are gone when they write?

Posts 197
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2022 1:12 PM

Fred Girdwood:

Does John use the present tense to talk about places/things that are gone before he writes?

Jerusalem was destroyed in A.D.70, but John writes as though the sheep gate is there in A.D.100?

How do I search for other texts/authors which use the present tense of places/objects that are gone when they write?

I can't help with the search, but just to suggest that possibly John did not write in AD 100 but maybe before 70 AD.  Don't be sure 100% sure that John wrote in 100AD.  I know that's the predominate position, but maybe not correct.  Just a thought.

Bob

Posts 26054
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2022 1:16 PM

Fred Girdwood:

I can't think of any way of doing that. There is no tagging to indicate the current status of things at the time when written about.

Posts 36344
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2022 1:26 PM

Fred Girdwood:

Given the amount of text written in the historical present, is this even theoretically possible?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5
Fred Girdwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 8:59 AM

Thanks everyone[

Posts 1264
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2022 11:57 AM

Bob:

Fred Girdwood:

I can't help with the search, but just to suggest that possibly John did not write in AD 100 but maybe before 70 AD.  Don't be sure 100% sure that John wrote in 100AD.  I know that's the predominate position, but maybe not correct.  Just a thought.

Bob

There is a standard dicussion in the "Christian" world about when Jesus was born. One sides nails it as 0AD  which anothr side nails it as 4 AD. That 4 years is also carried to the end of the NT with Revelation being written at 96 AD and the other side saying 100 AD. I understand the arguments of both side (which I worked through in years back) and I tend to use the 0 and 96 dates myself. 

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Barney Fife is my hero!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS