Logos and the Ventilator

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2525
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 20 2022 6:11 AM

I am feeling really frustrated. Needing to vent. I absolutely love Logos--it's not that, it's just that I have more terrific books than a human could read. Thousands and thousands of books, and I wouldn't trade one (well, may a few). Presently, I have 227 books on my "Absolutely Must Read Next (or else)" list. 

I am very, very happy. I also need to vent. How on earth can I ever read all these great books before I go to Heaven? 

Maybe I won't read them all. Yet, because I have them, I keep making discoveries: ideas, authors, perspectives, inspirations, insights, stimulation, expansion, serendipities, people, errors, corrections, history, depth, breadth, heights, clarity, tranquility, focus, cultures, worship, joy, thanksgiving, light, to name a few.

A few years ago, I took my family to the Smithsonian. Thirty minutes in, I realized I would need months to see this wonderful place. That is what happens with Logos, only Logos is bigger. Wonderfuller. 

I am almost done venting, and then I will stop.  Everyone needs Logos and all the Logos they can get. There.  Done.  

Posts 30473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 6:20 AM

I love reading, but I need a quiet place without distractions. My current stage of life is busy and LOUD (I have three school age sons). I have turned to audio books since I am in my car for 2-3 hours minimum every day. 

That might work for a few of your titles. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 45
Dale E Heath II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 7:32 AM

And every month, Logos comes out with more sales that are hard to resist.Stick out tongue

Posts 1157
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 8:01 AM

Yes, reading next the to ventilator is not easy. Although, with kids, sometimes a noicy ventilator does wonders. Window AC's are good ... old ones.

I think good books are indeed a problem ... yes, too many. But, I still purchase. It's like hiking ... the trip, not the destination. The destination is just motivation.

I rationalize by just seeing the issue, as buying a library for me. A Carnegie library of my own. Never get to all the books but I can happily choose every single day.

Posts 1730
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 9:01 AM

Reading a book takes time ...

And I am not only reading books in Logos but also other books ...

Sometimes I even read books again, after many years: currently reading the "Exodus" by Leon Uris. I think I've read it when I was 15 years old for the first time, in 1965.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 837
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 9:46 AM

GaoLu:
How on earth can I ever read all these great books before I go to Heaven?

There are different ways to "read" a book ... might I suggest How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading  by Mortimer Adler and Charles van Doren?

JRS has left the building.

Posts 1371
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 10:09 AM

It definitely shows the value in the monastic lifestyle Wink

More seriously, I can relate. While some of my collection is of the "What do X really believe" variety, in my main collection there are more books than I could hope to read in a lifetime.

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1048
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 10:51 AM

I, along with so many others who are active in the forum, can certainly relate! Thank you for posting.

A few months ago, I decided to get rid of about 95% of my dead tree books; this is something I should've done when someone else would've wanted them. I haven't done it, yet. :) But just today, I went to the boxes to get rid of some, and then ended up reviving interest in about 6 volumes. My experience with my Logos library is so often that way, too. I love it, but calculated a couple years ago that it would take me a couple hundred years (it's now a rough estimate) to read everything I have. But, like the universe that expands faster than the speed of light, my library expands faster than I can read it.

Posts 459
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 11:07 AM

GaoLu, thanks for venting. You got me motivated to rethink how I use Logos and the resources in my library. I do "Bible Study" and lesson preparation at my desktop but I use my IPad for reading. I think it is time to download some books to read to my IPad and create a little reading room for myself. And maybe rethink my reading habits and motivations.

-john

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 3293
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 2:03 PM

I am among those who are struck with like foolishness as to have an unusual attraction for books. Ignoring the counsel of The Preacher who spoke against the impulse to store up the wisdom found in books Ecc 12.12 

Being of the age where my interests have been winnowed down by the knowing that all that I see with my eyes is passing away, I have had my eyes turned inward to the kingdom that is within me Lk 17.21 In response I have been coaxed into a more singular focus to build a habitation fit for eternity.

Concretely, I still read for pleasure, don't get me wrong, but I find the topics I read on are more edifying and narrower in scope. I'll give an example. I'm reading and journaling in Tozer on the Almighty God: A 366 Day Devotional, but I use my library card and I'm reading a book titled The Prophets by Robert Jones, Jr. As part of my job, I'm leading a recovery group and we are reading A Walk in the Wood by Joseph Parent, PhD and Nancy Parent. I read my Bible devotionally.

I have a crazy large Logos library and growing monthly presently nearly 18,000 resources. This post is my penance for my excess in this area of my walk with the Lord. I use Logos every day so I'm unapologetic, but I have cut way back on my purchases. May the Lord forgive me for my surfeit ways.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 2:06 PM

I've never had the expectation of reading every book in my Logos Library.  They will all get search at some time, I will some of those search results in context without reading the whole book, from a few paragraphs to a chapter.  Other books I will want to read cover to cover.  Some books I will open when I see them quoted in another book and I want to follow up on that line of thought. And some books if won't every get opened or read.  But I don't know which ones or how many might fall into that category.  For I don't know when God will call me home, whether it will because this finite body takes its last breath and pumps its last drop of blood or because or Lord Jesus Christ returns before that happens. Whatever the case when my time comes, I won't be thinking about what books in my Logos Library I didn't get to read or even open. I will be rejoicing in God my Saviour.  Till then I am going to rejoice in what my library teaches me and how it leads me to opportunities to share God with others and to times in prayer and praise of our King.

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 2:44 PM

I am trying to read one of my bound books and it describes that the author had access to a friend's library which was enormous. The library had filled almost every inch of the man's house and was donated to the university's library of which the man was affiliated with at the time of his death.

Be thankful that it's just disk space.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 4:41 PM

The way I look at it, you'll have all of eternity to read the books you don't get around to reading in this lifetime. Some of them you'll no longer be interested in reading then, but reading for joy in the creativity of words, I have to think somehow there will still be a place for that in the New Creation. I don't know, of course, but I live my life as if it were true, not worrying about what I don't get around to reading.

Posts 989
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 7:29 PM

I set aside 2 hours a day just to read. After that I work on studies and such. Some books (i.e. Bible) are worth reading over and over. I read Bible help books and even commentaries also.

A wise man once told me.... that I should either exchange the books in my library or re-read them every 5 years to keep one's mind on track. Believe me that's a tough schedule to keep.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 88
skypeace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2022 4:43 AM

Glad to say that when it comes to books and other sources of "input" as Johnny 5(Short Circuit movie) would call it, my cup runneth over.

A Slave of Christ, Cancelled by Culture, Affirmed by God! HCSB, yes I am that guy!

Posts 2525
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2022 7:38 AM

Rosie Perera:

The way I look at it, you'll have all of eternity to read the books you don't get around to reading in this lifetime. Some of them you'll no longer be interested in reading then, but reading for joy in the creativity of words, I have to think somehow there will still be a place for that in the New Creation. I don't know, of course, but I live my life as if it were true, not worrying about what I don't get around to reading.

Thank you for saying that. Life in Heaven will either be as good as you describe or better.

Posts 921
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2022 10:25 AM

GaoLu:

I am feeling really frustrated. Needing to vent. I absolutely love Logos--it's not that, it's just that I have more terrific books than a human could read. Thousands and thousands of books, and I wouldn't trade one (well, may a few). Presently, I have 227 books on my "Absolutely Must Read Next (or else)" list. 

I am very, very happy. I also need to vent. How on earth can I ever read all these great books before I go to Heaven? 

Maybe I won't read them all. Yet, because I have them, I keep making discoveries: ideas, authors, perspectives, inspirations, insights, stimulation, expansion, serendipities, people, errors, corrections, history, depth, breadth, heights, clarity, tranquility, focus, cultures, worship, joy, thanksgiving, light, to name a few.

A few years ago, I took my family to the Smithsonian. Thirty minutes in, I realized I would need months to see this wonderful place. That is what happens with Logos, only Logos is bigger. Wonderfuller. 

I am almost done venting, and then I will stop.  Everyone needs Logos and all the Logos they can get. There.  Done.  

One option is to read book summaries instead of the whole book  Tim  Challies has written a blog post about book summaries. You  an find it at https://www.challies.com/sponsored/heres-how-christian-book-summaries-help-you-learn-morein-less-time-2/

Sometimes it is best to read the whole book and sometimes a summary is enough. Sometimes after reading a summary we want to read the full text. You can run a google search to find other summaries as well. Also check uploaded documents. Someone may have uploaded their notebook on the book you are interested in reading.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS