Documentation/Manual Request

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5203
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 6 2022 7:15 AM

I apologize but I am not in front of my desktop at the moment but is there a Manual explaining the Bible Books Explorer? I tried using the web app but I don't see it in my library and I know I have the tool. A picture of the intertext tool has been going around Twitter lately and a popular person (not my cup of tea) was lamenting that the tool was broken because Songs of Solomon wasn't featured. I would think if Logos had a manual explaining where and how they get their information from, that might help explaining the why.

Just a thought.

Bible Books Explorer 

Posts 26056
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2022 7:41 AM

Mattillo:
I would think if Logos had a manual explaining where and how they get their information from, that might help explaining the why.

The Logos Help file has:

The Intertext view presents data gathered from the New Testament use of the Old Testament Dataset as a chord diagram.

Logos Help (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2018).

And, checking in that Dataset, there are no links from Song of Solomon to the NT. So the discussion would be as to whether there should be any intertextual references for that book in the dataset.

Posts 5203
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2022 7:49 AM

Graham Criddle:

Mattillo:
I would think if Logos had a manual explaining where and how they get their information from, that might help explaining the why.

The Logos Help file has:

The Intertext view presents data gathered from the New Testament use of the Old Testament Dataset as a chord diagram.

Logos Help (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2018).

And, checking in that Dataset, there are no links from Song of Solomon to the NT. So the discussion would be as to whether there should be any intertextual references for that book in the dataset.

Thanks Graham! I never thought to query the general help file!

I figured as much to the rest of what you said. I still think it would be better if they had a specific help file for his tool and maybe explain their philosophy as to how they got their data. This way when people ask about something we could at least point them to why the data is the way it is. Personally I have no thoughts on SoS and the use of it in the NT but it seems some do exist so I would be curious why they aren't featured. In the end, they are tools made by humans I guess and that never replaces your own study :)

Posts 1666
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2022 9:08 AM

Mattillo:

it seems some do exist so I would be curious why they aren't featured. In the end, they are tools made by humans I guess and that never replaces your own study 

I'd think you'd need to separate common metaphor (eg Songs with John), from possible use. You and I can use the same metaphors, but have no 'copying'. And such is very true, for common language in 2nd Temple.

But I agree (for 12+ years), such a complex software needs a reference manual .... instead of a help file, misc resources, wiki, and random forum guidance.

Posts 36369
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2022 12:35 PM

Mattillo:
Bible Books Explorer?
FYI: it would have saved me time and blood pressure rising it you called it "Bible Book Explorer" so I could have opened it in the Go box. (Note my "b" key is flakely so 3 b's ...However, did you look at the internal documentation under "About" in the upper left?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5203
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2022 1:16 PM

MJ. Smith:

Mattillo:
Bible Books Explorer?
FYI: it would have saved me time and blood pressure rising it you called it "Bible Book Explorer" so I could have opened it in the Go box. (Note my "b" key is flakely so 3 b's ...However, did you look at the internal documentation under "About" in the upper left?

My apologies for your blood pressure MJ! I'm not quite sure what you mean by that as it is labeled Bible Books Explorer for me.  As for the About, in my OP, I mentioned I was using the Web App which I don't see an about on there. If there is one on the desktop version than I haven't seen it yet. I still think having a separate manual would be nice. Some have manuals, some use an about... it can be confusing at times for my feeble mind.

Posts 36369
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2022 7:34 PM

Mattillo:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that as it is labeled Bible Books Explorer for me. 

I don't suppose I can lame you for my lack of coffee? I would have sworn you said "browser" rather than "explorer" but I have no clue what I was actually looking at ... my apologies. 

Mattillo:
I still think having a separate manual would be nice. Some have manuals, some use an about... it can be confusing at times for my feeble mind.

I agree wholeheartedly ... but made no progress convincing FL

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS