Should this be type = commentary (instead of Monograph)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 224
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 22 2022 1:12 PM

Based on the description of this resource (https://www.logos.com/product/8527/the-great-texts-of-the-bible) and light reading, I feel that this is fit to be typed as commentary. Similar to Simeon;s Horae (https://www.logos.com/product/3870/charles-simeons-horae-homileticae-commentary) in the sense that it is not a verse-by-verse commentary.

The Great Texts of the Bible (20 vols.)

Overview

This extensive twenty-volume collection is a commentary of different essays, sermons, anecdotes, and interpretations of various Scripture passages. Scottish Presbyterian minister James Hastings compiled The Great Texts of the Bible in the early twentieth century. Hastings provides helpful and personal observations on Scripture texts throughout the entire Bible, resulting in over nine thousand pages of material. He presents word meanings, expositions, poetry and quotations from many authors and thinkers, as well as a list of references and literature used for each text. Each section is outlined into major topics and points, offering readable commentary.

Posts 27919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 22 2022 9:22 PM

1Cor10:31:
Based on the description of this resource (https://www.logos.com/product/8527/the-great-texts-of-the-bible) and light reading, I feel that this is fit to be typed as commentary. Similar to Simeon;s Horae (https://www.logos.com/product/3870/charles-simeons-horae-homileticae-commentary) in the sense that it is not a verse-by-verse commentary.

The TOC reveals that Simeon's work is based on Bible books whilst Hastings' is based on topics. With a coverage of a few selected verses and the omission of some bible books (e.g. Phm, 2-3 John) I cannot agree that Hastings' work is a Bible commentary.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 3:55 AM

Dave Hooton:
The TOC reveals that Simeon's work is based on Bible books whilst Hastings' is based on topics.

If you are going by the product page then you may not be seeing what the OP is getting at.

Similar to Simeon;s Horae (https://www.logos.com/product/3870/charles-simeons-horae-homileticae-commentary) in the sense that it is not a verse-by-verse commentary.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 224
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 6:27 AM

Thank you both Dave and Ted. I went back and looked more closely. I feel that it should still be a commentary.

On first glance, it appears that this resource is based on topics (as Dave said). The "topic" is actually a summary title for the verse/passage. The "sub topics" are actually subheadings under which the verse is discussed.

He doesn't discuss many verses, but He goes from one verse to another is the Biblical order. For example, in Acts, we have:

ACTS

1: 8
2: 4
2: 42
4: 12
7: 59, 60
9: 4
16: 9
16: 30, 31
17: 22, 23
20: 35
24: 25
26: 19

Even though he picked only a few verses to comment on, the ones he picks out, he discusses in detail. Not surprisingly, we have nearly 10,000 pages of commentary.

I hope Faithlife will take a relook at it, and see whether it deserves to be type=commnetary.

Thanks for your consideration.  

Posts 1297
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 7:03 AM

feel that it should still be a commentary.

If this were a personal book, I'd make it a commentary, just for convenience sake.  In the grand tradition of FL, it doesn't say how it was indexed (since the 'power of Logos' is a small off the cuff value to the company).  

But given it's old and multi-volume with hefty markup since there's no publisher, I suspect (1) they cheaped it out when introduced, and (2) won't go back, in any event.  Best to use a CitedBy panel.

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 7:17 AM

Ted. I went back and looked more closely. I feel that it should still be a commentary.

Perhaps you may not have picked it up as I was brief. I was agreeing with your original postWink.

On first glance, it appears that this resource is based on topics (as Dave said). The "topic" is actually a summary title for the verse/passage. The "sub topics" are actually subheadings under which the verse is discussed.

Correct

He doesn't discuss many verses, but He goes from one verse to another is the Biblical order. For example, in Acts, we have:

Correct

Even though he picked only a few verses to comment on, the ones he picks out, he discusses in detail. Not surprisingly, we have nearly 10,000 pages of commentary.

correct

I hope Faithlife will take a relook at it, and see whether it deserves to be type=commnetary.

I hope so too.

Kind regards

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 224
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 7:31 AM

DMB:

Best to use a CitedBy panel.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess CitedBy tool will catch any monographs that cites verses. I have never used this tool, but I will go learn about it. 

Posts 224
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 7:33 AM

Ted Hans:

Perhaps you may not have picked it up as I was brief. I was agreeing with your original postWink.

Sorry, I was taking a short cut to respond to both Dave and you in the same post and my writing came thro' clumsily. I knew you were agreeing with me.

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2022 2:10 PM

Bump

Posts 27919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2022 5:44 AM

It could suit the requirement for a Study Bible, and that resource type will appear in the Commentaries section of Passage Guide.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1788
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 8:52 AM

This collection is all over the place in terms of how it's structured by I agree these would be well served by having Bible Milestones and appearing in the Passage Guide.

We have a case in place to get the 20 titles updated.

Posts 9023
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 8:55 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

This collection is all over the place in terms of how it's structured by I agree these would be well served by having Bible Milestones and appearing in the Passage Guide.

Great news! Thank you!

DAL

Posts 224
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 9:06 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Thank you indeed. Appreciative of you all taking our feedback into account.

Posts 5089
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 11:24 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Awesome

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 2:11 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Bravo Sir Yes

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS