Nifty laptop trick

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 4 2010 4:32 PM

If you have access to a second monitor that you can plug into to your laptop, you can build the second half of a desired layout on that monitor.  Then minimize your laptop display and move the tabs from the second monitor onto your laptop.  (You start this with a floating window.)   Then minimize that window and bring the original layout back up which has access to your homepage, tools and layouts.  Then name and save your layout.  Now unplug the second monitor and take your laptop anywhere and you can use that layout which comes back up with your second, (or third) window.  You can then quickly jump back and forth between the main window and the minimized one(s).  Seems to me this is preferable to heavy use of floating windows.  Logos will even switch windows for you if you right click and choose a lexicon which is on the minimized window.  Hope some find this helpful.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1
Edward Otero | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:19 PM

Hey Jerry,  I'll give it a try first chance I get.   I was doing a similar thing with my desktop version last year.  It should work as you say.  If anyone else out there is listening, it really IS a great way to utilize your space & load up your resources.  Be blessed....

The Grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, & the Love of God, & the Fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you in fullest measure   Angel

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:35 PM

Sounds cool. I'm not sure why you'd need a second monitor to build this on, though. Couldn't you just create one or two maximized floating windows with multiple tabs in each and use them the way you're suggesting? (To create one of these: set up the tabs you want to have in it in a normal tile, and then right click on any of those tabs and select "Open all in a floating window" and then maximize this floating window.) You could Alt+Tab between them, or Logos would automatically bring the appropriate one to the foreground if you choose to open a resource that is alread open in one of them.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:46 PM

Oops!  I wrote this post right before I left town and realized my mistake, but it was to late to correct it.  I formally "break my pencil".   

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 5:03 AM

Jerry Mclean:

Oops!  I wrote this post right before I left town and realized my mistake, but it was to late to correct it.  I formally "break my pencil".   

No problem, it is always good to remind us to use various possibilities of more than one windows and monitors. It was not possible with the L3 so it is great to have that feature in Logos 4. I use it all the time. I keep all Bibles, lexicons and dictionaries at the main window and all the commentaries and regular books in the floating one. Works great. Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 10:03 AM

I was aware of right-clicking tabs to move a group of tabs into a floating window. I DIDN'T know you could re-create the whole series of docked windows in a separate floating window. I did this and then emptied out the main window. Now when I ask for a word study, passage guide or special lexicon, they go into the main window and don't mess up my study group of windows. REALLY NICE! Another nail went in L3's coffin.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS