Bible Study Magazine Cancelled?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1863
Rick | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2022 9:30 AM

After allowing my subscription for Bible Study Magazine to expire, I resubscribed last month. I’ve been trying to go to the web site for a few days now in order to check and see if a new issue is out and it appears that the web site has been removed.

Has the magazine been discontinued as a result of the recent restructuring?

Posts 2248
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 9:59 AM

My subscription renewed in July 2022.

I guess I will wait and see what other responses are posted.

Posts 36311
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 10:08 AM

Special Offer from Bible Study Magazine (logos.com) ??

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1863
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 10:14 AM

Hi MJ,

I think this might be an old advertisement. When I follow the link that you posted, it has a ”Subscribe Now” button. When I click the button, it takes me to my cart with the book added at full price. There is no option to subscribe after clicking the subscribe now button and the book is full price (the coupon doesn’t work).

Posts 1635
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 10:39 AM

My guess is they're re-positioning the product. Maybe Lexham Press.

All the pages from the search engines fail.

Posts 1863
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 10:41 AM

DMB:

My guess is they're re-positioning the product. Maybe Lexham Press.

All the pages from the search engines fail.

I sure hope so. Smile

Posts 1863
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 11:13 AM

Someone must have seen this thread. The web site is back up.

Posts 72
Ron Ferguson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 2:16 PM

When I click the link MJ provided it takes me to the Bible Study Magazine page, and says if you scribe you get a free book.  So I click the subscribe button and it puts the free book in my cart. You can add the code they give you to get the book free BUT nowhere does it show or give a price for the magazine. I tried last week to subscribe and nothing worked. When I put BSM in the search it took me to buying the old BSM editions.  Something is broke or it’s going away. 

Posts 1863
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 2:33 PM

Ron Ferguson:

Something is broke or it’s going away. 

Agreed. Something is going on. I just visited the magazine’s web site again. There is no way to subscribe to it that I could find.

I just hope it is something like Denise suggested.

Posts 143
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 3:21 PM

I noticed that Mark Ward is no longer with FL?

Posts 36311
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 3:36 PM

HansK:
I noticed that Mark Ward is no longer with FL?

LinkedIn still has him as the full time editor of the Bible Study Magazine.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1635
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2022 3:56 PM

MJ. Smith:
LinkedIn still has him as the full time editor of the Bible Study Magazine.

Well, that's reassuring.  We have an editor.  Now to track down his magazine!

Posts 1930
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2022 5:59 AM

I have no inside information, nor a rational explanation of what they are thinking. But I will say that it has been my experience that in the past there can be some web page issues with Faithlife right before a major release...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 1635
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2022 7:09 AM

Ken McGuire:
in the past there can be some web page issues with Faithlife right before a major release...

That's for sure ... even into the release.  But, we're weeks away from the new prognosticationism estimate.  I'm thinking re-org.

But that said (and truly guessing), I've watched the ad pages and presumably revenue (don't know about subscriptions). And there's considerable more text (evangels), and Logos how-to.  Either (a) they're running on empty, or more likely (b) they've re-purposed the magazine.  Forcing a hard-copy for a long time seemed to be a marketing question (similar to their Amazon entries).

Posts 2128
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2022 5:41 PM

I haven't paid much attention to BSM, but if they were still publishing a paper magazine, you know that's been a bleeder for a while.

Win 10 [i7-4770; 32GB; SSD] | Android 12 | Fire OS 7

There are four lights

Posts 5189
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2022 7:48 AM

I have subscribed to BSM for a while. It could definitely be better. I like the articles and how they focus on a topic which is nice and whoever does the graphics and layouts are great. They usually have a how-to in there as well which can be a nice refresher on something.

What I don't like is:

Digital is terrible. They can never seem to keep up with getting digital issues out. Personally, if you subscribe to the paper, you should get the digital at a discount but you'll most likely be 6 months behind... if you are lucky. Currently, you pay full price for both if you do want them and the first 9-10 years have been in PrePub limbo for years.

In the past, the magazine had a special resource you could find if you looked hard enough and get a good discount. They stopped this and now just have a generic discount section that never seems to be worth the effort.

Posts 3140
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2022 8:35 AM

Robert M. Warren:
if they were still publishing a paper magazine

Problem is, I can't leave a digital copy of a magazine in the student lounge, where dozens of non-Logos users read it.

I can (and do) do that with the paper copy.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2138
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2022 5:55 PM

I canceled all of my Faithlife subscriptions over the past year (Connect, Perks, BSM, MTM). I was interested in signing up for their journal, but I’m not even going to do that now. If they offer it to me free once I start teaching, I may go for it. Otherwise, I’m fine without it.

Looking at the direction Faithlife has been going, they just aren’t putting me in a frame of mind to want to subscribe to services.

Nathan Parker

Posts 13
LogosEmployee
Mark Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2022 4:29 PM

We are planning to let customers know via email and in the pages of Bible Study Magazine (which is in the final design stages) that this coming Nov/Dec issue will be the last for BSM. I, Mark Ward, am very much still with Faithlife—and am actually moving over to the Word by Word blog to do much the same thing I did for BSM, just more of it: soliciting, editing, and writing articles on Bible-focused topics. We’re making a major push to have more content on Word by Word, and you’ll recognize there some of your favorite columnists from BSM, especially Christa Threlfall (Moment with God), David Barshinger (Bible Study in Church History), and Peter Krol (Knowable Word). Our mission to help Christians dig deeper into Scripture will not change. We’re just moving into the digital medium. Soon, my LinkedIn profile will say “Senior Editor, Digital Content.”

For current BSM subscribers: you’ll get refund and other subscription details in that email. Just hang tight! And make sure you’re subscribed to Word by Word! 

Posts 271
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2022 5:10 PM

So thankful for you being—and still remaining— a part of the company.

preachertony.com — facebook.com/tonywalker23 — twitter.com/tonywalker23 — youtube.com/tonywalker23

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS