Logos 4 on MacBook Pro - Boot Camp

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 23
Robert Stacy | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:00 PM

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a Mac Book Pro: 2.4ghz Intel Core Dual Processor, 3mb shared level 2 catche with 4GB of 1066Mhz DDR3 SDRAM.

With this configuration will Logos 4 run effectively via "BootCamp" with Windows 7? Also, I would like ideas on how to create and/or cut and paste items into sermon notes.  I understand that I would have two separate operating systems and that rebooting would be necessary to switch.  Would it make sense to install "Word" via "BootCamp?"  If so what size partition would you recommend?

Any insight from your experience and knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Stacy

Posts 2
Joseph LaJoy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 5:50 PM

I have a Mac Book Pro 13" late 2009 model with 2.53 GHz processor, 8 gigs of ram and 500 gig 7200 rpm HDD. I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 - bit on Boot Camp. This set up works good. I started out using 4 gigs of ran and I thought Logos would run better with 8 gigs so I upgraded. I have not seen any really different with the 8 gigs. However it does make some of my other programs run great.

I have installed Office Pro 2007 on this system as well and would not be able to work without Office. Because of the size of HDD I set my Boot Camp up with 250 gigs. I use more than Logos on this side so I needed the space.

I do use both sides but I prefer the windows side over the Mac (I’m one of those who does not like the Mac OS but likes the Mac hardware).

I hope this helps some.

Joseph

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:01 PM

That machine would have no trouble with Win 7 / Boot Camp.

My recommendation would be to install VMWare or Parallels as well. Once you install Windows via Boot Camp, use VMWare Fusion to boot your windows partition from within the Mac OS. This will let you use both simultaneously. It can drain resources, but you should be able to use both without noticeable slowdown, unless you try to do a lot of other things at the same time.

This is how I have it set up. I run Windows within a VM and use Apple Pages for all my sermon work. I can copy/paste between Mac OS and the VM with no problem.

You can download and evaluate VMWare Fusion, and can probably also do so with Parallels, so you could try them out and see if you liked them.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 12:07 AM

RobertStacy:
Would it make sense to install "Word" via "BootCamp?"  If so what size partition would you recommend?

Unless you need RTL (right to left) text support for writing Hebrew in Word, Microsoft Office for Mac is a worthy consideration.  I've been using Office for Mac 2008, swapping files with all my friends who are still on Windows (though this is becoming fewer and fewer all the time as many are making the switch) and it has worked brilliantly.  A new version of Word for Mac is coming out this autumn and we are still campaigning it would have full RTF support.  Regardless, if you are a fan of things like Outlook, there is supposed to be a new and improved version of Outlook for Mac as well coming out. (in place of Entourage)

HTH.

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 12:45 PM

RobertStacy:
I am seriously thinking about purchasing a Mac Book Pro: 2.4ghz Intel Core Dual Processor, 3mb shared level 2 catche with 4GB of 1066Mhz DDR3 SDRAM.

But, why buy that when the I3, I5, I7 quads are available for Macbook pros?  If you are going to spend money for a macbook, get the better processor.

That is my opinion (and what I bought for my daughter).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS