Beta 5: Cited by Frustration

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:32 AM

Opened a layout for NT Study to Matthew 28:19. None of the collections in Cited by yielded any search results. Created a new collection of all MacArthur resources. Cited by now reveals 267 hits for this collection. Does this mean that I will need to recreate more than 25 collections in order to use L4 Mac?

This feature has been a constant source of frustration in the Mac version, but I see very little input form the Dev Team. What is the status of this feature? Can we expect these problems to be fixed?

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 10:07 AM

It's highly likely that the collections on your Mac are malformed as a result of bugs in earlier alphas (which is why recreating them now would cause them to work again). If you can upload your ResourceCollectionManager.db, we can take a look at it—even better would be if you could upload your copy from both your Windows and Mac installations, so that we can compare them.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:01 PM

David Mitchell:
It's highly likely that the collections on your Mac are malformed as a result of bugs in earlier alphas

Interesting. I  suppose that was when Cited by was crashing the system in A17 or 18 if I remember correctly.

David Mitchell:
If you can upload your ResourceCollectionManager.db, we can take a look at it—even better would be if you could upload your copy from both your Windows and Mac installations, so that we can compare them.

Pleased to be of assistance.

4812.L4 Mac.zip

2352.L4 Win.zip

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:30 PM

David

If I have to recreate my collections, I'll do it and mark it down as one of the fringe benefits of Alpha testing. However, some of those collection have several resources in the Minus these Resources field. Since I can only open one Collections pane/panel/window at a time, I don't have a pattern to see as I add. I could observe in Windows while I create on the Mac, but I am hesitant to to do. Is this likely to cause problems?

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 1:21 PM

I experimented and recreated a collection called 'Author Series: John Bunyan' and found that the collection started working properly in 'Cited By'. So I will go re-create all collections that are broke.

The trouble is, the section called 'All Open Resources' is beyond my control and never propagates with any information. There's another section called 'Entire Library' which doesn't work and it certainly isn't a collection that I currently have! :)

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 2:30 PM

Jack Caviness:
However, some of those collection have several resources in the Minus these Resources field.

I remember noticing that at least some of the ones that didn't work, and had to be recreated, also had Minus other collections or resources in them. I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem?

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 2:31 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
the section called 'All Open Resources' is beyond my control and never propagates with any information.

This is the same on my system as well. I just never tried it to notice before reading your post.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 468
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 3:00 PM

I recreated my collections, which resolved the issue of not showing any results in all those particular collections; however, as Donovan states - the collections we, as users, have no control over, i.e. entire library, all open resources, and any other collections that the program created may or may not work.  see screenshot.

The above collections shown are all non-user created - some work, some do not.

attaching logs and resource collection mgr.db:  2260.Archive.zip   3250.ResourceCollectionManager.db

Hope this will be helpful.

Lauren

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 3:28 PM

Dewayne Davis:

Donovan R. Palmer:
the section called 'All Open Resources' is beyond my control and never propagates with any information.

This is the same on my system as well. I just never tried it to notice before reading your post.

Any chance this error—and other collection failures—can be repaired from Logos? Since I am into Beta testing 4.1 on the Windows side {no stones or spears, please}, I can hold off recreating my collections until I hear an answer.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:38 PM

There is a chance. We'll let you know, one way or the other.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS