Recently Added Resources to L4

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 21
Kim Pagel | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 17 2010 8:29 AM

I have searched around on the forum and I can't find an answer to this question. So I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before and I just missed it. When I opened up Logos today it told me I had resources to download. I didn't order anything and am wondering what it is downloading. Is this an update?

My question then: Is there a way to view a download history with explanation? I'm curious about what is being downloaded. Thanks for your help.

Kim

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 8:43 AM

Kim Pagel:
My question then: Is there a way to view a download history with explanation?

That is something that many people would like to see added to Logos. You can vote for the feature at uservoice (a site set up by Logos for users to voice their suggestions for new features):  http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/676089-add-an-info-window-that-tells-you-what-is-being-up?ref=title

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:01 AM

Kim Pagel:
I have searched around on the forum and I can't find an answer to this question. So I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before and I just missed it. When I opened up Logos today it told me I had resources to download. I didn't order anything and am wondering what it is downloading. Is this an update?

Yes, resources are occasionally updated with typo fixes and corrections. Also, older books in the file format for Logos (Libronix) 3 are progressively being moved to the file format for Logos 4.

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 10:16 AM

Kim Pagel:
Is there a way to view a download history with explanation?

At present the best you can do after the download is look in your Resources folder (in Win7 it is at: C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\{Random String}\ResourceManager\Resources), sort by Date Modified and look for the most recent files. As pointed out there is currently no way to see what is ready to be downloaded ahead of time.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 599
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 11:21 AM

Mark,

I've seen you and others post this identical advice multiple times.  All this procedure will tell you is what the file names are that have been downloaded.  That is NOT the same thing as telling a user what RESOURCES have been updated because, at least to me, the file names are often impossible to tie to a resource.  In this day of current operating systems is there any valid reason for using arcane shortened and abbreviated file names for resources?  At the very least (and this is not really an ideal solution) a way to find out the resource based on the file name would be nice, though frankly it should not be necessary.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 11:30 AM

John Kaess:

Mark,

I've seen you and others post this identical advice multiple times.  All this procedure will tell you is what the file names are that have been downloaded.  That is NOT the same thing as telling a user what RESOURCES have been updated because, at least to me, the file names are often impossible to tie to a resource.  In this day of current operating systems is there any valid reason for using arcane shortened and abbreviated file names for resources?  At the very least (and this is not really an ideal solution) a way to find out the resource based on the file name would be nice, though frankly it should not be necessary.

If you type the file name of a resource (without the "Logos4" file name extension) into the L4 command box, it will recognize it and and offer to open the resource (full name given). A bit of a hassle, but it works.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 11:38 AM

John,

Mark and I would both agree that this is a workaround at best.  The functionality to include the information programmatically has been requested more than once.  All we can do is keep asking.

I would encourage you to click the uservoice link above and vote on it.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 1:01 PM

Thomas Black:
Mark and I would both agree that this is a workaround at best.

Something like we have in Logos 3 would be nice. There we are told, when there are resources/updates to download, specifically what they are. We are then asked if we want to download them and have the option of choosing all or part of the download. I've found that very helpful. I hope we'll see this someday in Logos 4. Again, the only option now is to submit another suggestion in the Suggestion forum or to voice your opinion on User Voice as suggested. Sorry.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 1:31 PM

Hi Mark,

No need to apologize.  I guess a few of us are a bit puzzled why in the current product Logos had dropped the features you described that are found in the previous L3. Also, in the software development world, whenever a new update is provided, developers usually provide accessible information pertaining to what is being updated and the reasons (or improved features).

Just my $0.02

David

Posts 5707
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 2:05 PM

David L Bailey:

Hi Mark,

No need to apologize.  I guess a few of us are a bit puzzled why in the current product Logos had dropped the features you described that are found in the previous L3. Also, in the software development world, whenever a new update is provided, developers usually provide accessible information pertaining to what is being updated and the reasons (or improved features).

Just my $0.02

David

Yes

I'll add another $0.02 to your's.... We really should have visiblity of what is been added to our system and an ask me later option

Posts 21
Kim Pagel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 2:42 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I have left my comments/vote on User Voice.

Kim

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:12 PM

David L Bailey:
Also, in the software development world, whenever a new update is provided, developers usually provide accessible information pertaining to what is being updated and the reasons (or improved features).

Absolutely.   Logos seems to be somewhat different from other software in this respect. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS